Vittorio Storaro isn't a DP

Patrick Neary

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Just for anyone interested, Michael Nash is the only moderator for the cinematographer forum, there are several other moderators (myself included) that handle the general discussion areas. Beyond that, there are no moderators other than Tim Tyler, so the advice to edit yourself is good.

Kevin Zanit

what Storaro said really shook me up too when i heard it. it's not really possible to really have just one cogent definition i think because to each it might be a little bit more personal.

maybe being older and more experienced it means something completely different than to me who's young and see he two as the same. anyway, it just makes for a really good question to ask him when you do see him in person, right?

• 3 weeks later...
Trouble with that kind of thinking is that it will lead you to believe that the more the camera moves, the greater the cinematography. Gordon Willis is one of the greatest cinematographers in history, and he hardly moved the camera. Cinematography may literally mean "writing with movement" in Greek but what it actually means is "motion picture (cinema) photography" -- which includes static shots.

Hello David,

A couple of weeks ago I watched Brokeback Mountain on television. A very visusaly stunning movie. And for a few days afterwards I kept thinking about what made the movie such a pleasure to view (besides location, direction, acting, pacing etc. which were all great) and it dawned upon me that I could not remember seeing the camera move much beyond panning and even that was minimal. So I watched it again this time paying heed to camera movements. Besides a few short dollys and a couple of rises and some interior Steadicam work, the camera was basically locked down for the majority of the movie. Just goes to show ya....

Chuck

I like the title "cameraman".....it seems the most humble.

hey, i like 'lighting-cameraman' ! atleast that's what i put on my showreel-scriptwriter, director & lighting cameraman!

talk about identity crisis ! rajkumar

Cinematographer vs Director of Photography is like;

Stewardess vs. Flight Attendant,

Cop vs. Police Officer,

Secretary vs. Administrative Assistant

etc...

I guess Cinematographer is older in etymology, while Director of Photography is (please read loosely) more gentrified somehow. Hence people would immediately assume that a "Director of Photography" would not be hands on. I think it's just language/usage :-).

Edited by Dennis Kisilyov