Raw 16mm Footage

Curtis Bouvier

• Premium Member
No, you don't, because there are no "progressive SD video formats." If you're talking about something you have on a computer, such as a Quicktime file, that's not a "video format," it's a data format. Video formats must be supported by video equipment, be able to be recorded and displayed natively on video equipment, and thus must conform to accepted video format standards. There is no existing standard for a standard definition video format with progressive scan. Even Panasonic's 480p is recorded as "standard" standard definition video - i.e., interlaced - even though the camera captures progressive frames. The newer DVX100 does exactly the same thing.

I have made and been paid for dozens and dozens of projects using Standard Definition Progressive transfers from film. By your definition no digital format would qualify as video because they are data data recorders.

Sorry that this thread got hijacked into a telecine thread.

But.

I inverted the pull-down.

As all standard NTSC transfers run the film just a tad slower (23.98) you get an even 3:2,

I analyzed the clip and it fit 3 normal frames 2 fielded frames.

4 clicks and I have a .rev file running at 23.98 that's without pull-down artifacts.

Now I'm playing with the footage in CinePaint (aka Film Gimp).

I have made and been paid for dozens and dozens of projects using Standard Definition Progressive transfers from film. By your definition no digital format would qualify as video because they are data data recorders.

That's not what I said. I said that a video format must conform to an accepted video standard. Video standards are defined by both the SMPTE and the ATSC specifications. They are then supported by video equipment manufacturers who create tools that conform to the standard - monitors, videotape recorders, transmission standards, receiver standards, etc., etc. On a computer you can do anything you want because you're dealing in a world of software. You can invent whatever variation of a format you like - for instance, a 24 frame version of 720p. That doesn't make it a video format that can be directly displayed on a video monitor, broadcast as a television signal, or be recorded on a VTR. If you got a standard def "progressive" transfer from 24 frame film material, the only way it could be worked on as a progressive format would be to remove the 3:2 pulldown from it - which is, of course, something you can do using various tools. The fact that you can do this doesn't change the fact that the original transfer was done in a 60 field, interlaced format and recorded to videotape that way.

Unfortunately, we currently seem to live in a world where people don't know and can't understand the difference between video formats and data-only formats. That's why we get people walking into a video facility and expecting to color correct their 720p/24 material on a DaVinci - something that simply can't be done, at least not without converting that material to a valid video format. People seem to think that anything can instantly become anything else - without loss and without alteration - because it's "digital." That's just not the case.