Prescription glasses

Christian Janss

I wear glasses and have had trouble tollerating contact lenses lately. I know there is an attachment out there that allows you to wear glasses and look thru the eyepiece without light leaking in, but I can't remember the name or who makes it.

Does any one here know?

thanks

Christian Janss

• Premium Member

I have a diopter I can pop in the front of the eyepiece, but it usually fogs up even with the eyepiece heater on. So usually I mold a piece of blackwrap around the cup as an extension that I can press around my eyeglasses to get rid of the leak, not that blackwrap against your skin is the most pleasant of experiences. But I find that only blackwrap works because it can be quickly pressed into a shape and hold it. Maybe if I could line it with black felt, I'd be happier...

Has anyone used the i-cuff?

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use it on most cameras, supposedly it's built to fit any viewfinder of up to 5.5" circumference

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...p;sku=800499620

Oh, there are others too, made for larger viewfinders as well.

But yeah, anyone use'em?

Blackwrap is actually alluminum.

I would suggest the classic old school solution, which is a tennis terry cloth wristband. You can purchase them for a buck and slip it right over any viewfinder for film or video. It blocks all light and is soft to comortably mold to the face. It is a very comfortable solution and since it wicks moisture and breathes it won't get all slimy and disgusting during a hot shoot. Pull it off and drop it in the wash every now & then.

Is that a solution for eyeglass wearers? I don't see how it's any better or worse than having to press your glasses up against a shammy.

is this what you mean?

http://www.vondutch.com/Terry_Cloth_Wristband/pd/p/9042.html

not sure how you'd use it, exactly. i wear glasses too and this has been a frustration.

-j

I just had this conversation with British DoP David Scott last week.

I don't like contacts either and I wear specs, he showed me his pair of British Board of Health eye glasses. The frames are the perfect size for eyepieces, even 16mm, fitting snuggly into them with no light leakes.

These are also nice because they have the hooked earpieces which prevent them from slipping off your face. And they happen to be the style of eyeglasses Harrison Ford wore in the Indiana Jones trilogy.

While these are now hard to find, they are worth the money and I'm currently seeking out a pair myself.

• Premium Member

The i-cuff is great. I use it on all of my cameras and rentals.

As for glass and vision, if it is your camera you can have a new piece of glass ground that fixes your eyesight for viewing. Not many folks do it but it is the best solution. I'm always reminded of one of my mentors Barry Winik. Barry created many of the sports shots we take for granted these days such as the under the basket shot in basketball or the behind the plate shot in baseball. Barry had a custom piece of glass in his camera to deal with his poor eyesight. It was great for him but I couldn't use the viewfinder to check shots and had to use a monitor.

• Premium Member
he showed me his pair of British Board of Health eye glasses.

LOL, you'll get beaten up....!!

I had my eyes laser corrected 5 years ago, its the best thing I ever did, seriously, you should all consider it, I'm quite evangelical about it.....

LOL, you'll get beaten up....!!

I had my eyes laser corrected 5 years ago, its the best thing I ever did, seriously, you should all consider it, I'm quite evangelical about it.....

Yeah, I'm researching that...but being severly farsighted with an astigmatism makes things difficult I hear. <_<

• Premium Member
Yeah, I'm researching that...but being severly farsighted with an astigmatism makes things difficult I hear. <_<

I had astigmatism in both eyes (apparently) which they corrected. I'm not sure how bad mine was to be honest.

As far as 'severe' prescriptions go they could correct from minus 13 using Lasik. I cant imagine what that must be like, I was only minus 1.25 and it was a pain when working

My 'procedure' took less than 5 seconds. Quite astonishing, and I now have better vision than I ever had with any form of lens

• Premium Member

Have you been screened for possibility of laser surgery?

I wear progressives(actually trifocals) and use professional still cameras and

video cameras. Used them to fly also but now grounded due to recent heart

attack.

Greg Gross

• Premium Member
I wear glasses and have had trouble tollerating contact lenses lately. I know there is an attachment out there that allows you to wear glasses and look thru the eyepiece without light leaking in, but I can't remember the name or who makes it.

Does any one here know?

thanks

Christian Janss

What I used to do is just take the glasses off, and focus the finder to my eye. Most of them will go at least +/- 3 diopters, which covers almost everybody.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

Diopters won't help if you've got a lot of astigmatism (like me). For that you need to get a round lens made that has your prescription and is the correct diameter to attach to your viewfinder under the eyecup. I learned this trick from Doug Hart who did it for Gordon Willis and Woody Allen.

I've got a new set of glasses coming from Lenscrafters, they're going to be anti-reflection coated, the anti-reflection coating will probably be done by a Zeiss lab. I had a chance to play around with the shop's demo glasses with anti-reflection, it makes an incredible difference, I could see fine detail in things like their brightly lit exit signs with the anti-reflection glass that were just plain not visible without the coating. When I looked at reflections off the front of the lenses, the reflected colored images looked exactly like those off high quality camera lenses. What a trip - my T* eyeglasses are on their way! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Do you guys know if the I-Cuff HD will fit on an SR-3?

I don't know if I need the I-Cuff Pro or HD. I realize the only difference is the size.

Thanks,

Matt

I dont think the i-Cuff would work for film. I don't wear glasses, but I do use the i-Cuff DV (I still opt to use a traditional chamois on any eyepiece it will fit on), and if the Pro and HD are anything like it, they will leak light in the side where there is a rather large gap designed to allow a glasses stem into the eye piece.

Daniel

• 3 weeks later...
Awesome, thanks Christian, I look forward to reading your review :)

So I've got the I-cuff. And I'd say I'm not totally happy with it. I haven't actually tested it shooting a roll yet, but I'm not confident that it would block 100% of the light.

It seems like there needs to be a more adjustable side wall to fit to the side of the face, like some felt or something. As it is, the shape is roughtly a square and the side that fits along your temple is too rigid to shape itself around the glasses. But the second problem is that it doesn't stand up off the eyepiece with enough rigidity, so if you press your temple to the side, or if you push your eye down onto the cuff, to try to create a light-tight seal the whole cuff just collapses down onto the eyepiece.

Again, I haven't actually tested a roll with it, but for the timebeing I'm just adjusting the diopter to fit my naked eye (which it just barely fits). The thing with that is that I have to keep taking my glasses off. I think I'll just have to go under the lazer one of these days.