Frontline: Check out the excellent grip work...

• Premium Member

Don't know if any of you have managed to catch the 4-part Frontline special, "News War" (which is superb) but note the beautiful 2-camera interview lighting done by board contributor and super-grip Mike Pancenko.

It looks really nice, Mike!

Haha, thanks Tim! Good to see you around!

Along with my normal AC work, I also occasionally grip for ENG style shoots- and I can say that this one is very well crafted- and should be very interesting, at least from what I saw. I actually only did one day on it; apparently they shot for 9 months. So I have to commend them on giving credit to the crew! Thanks Tim for a great laugh this morning. For those interested in politics and media, from what I saw this one should be an interesting watch!

Edited by Mike Panczenko

• Premium Member
Haha, thanks Tim! Good to see you around!

Along with my normal AC work, I also occasionally grip for ENG style shoots- and I can say that this one is very well crafted- and should be very interesting, at least from what I saw. I actually only did one day on it; apparently they shot for 9 months. So I have to commend them on giving credit to the crew! Thanks Tim for a great laugh this morning. For those interested in politics and media, from what I saw this one should be an interesting watch!

One day of work and four weeks of credit? Not bad.

Did they use a Pro-35 adapter and primes of some sort?

One day of work and four weeks of credit? Not bad.

Did they use a Pro-35 adapter and primes of some sort?

I can't speak for the rest of the shoot, but when I worked on it, they used the SDX900 with normal video lenses. I don't know if they shot DVCPRO50 or regular DVCPRO. I'll check up on that though. We only had about a half hour (if that) setup time to shoot Dan Bartlett, so what you see in that interview was setup from cases to shooting in that time! A wonderful cameraman named Mark Stoddard lit and shot that interview, with another great camerawoman named Sheila Smith operating 2nd Camera. And that was the extent of my working on that show. We got some B Roll of DC before and some shots of Lowell Bergman walking the White House grounds after, and thats all she wrote for my part!

I have it straight from the horse's mouth: the aforementioned Mark Stoddard,- it was not just the SDX900 that we used, it was "both Ikegami DVCAM and Sony DVCPro cameras at the 25mb rate to closely match the DVCAM (and make the editor happy.) I used a Fujinon HD lens for the Panasonics."

So there you have it.