35mm camera desert performance

Austin

I am wondering about the performance of certain 35mm cameras under the extreme desert heat (mainly the Mojave). During the time of principal photography the temperatures will occasionaly rise above 110F. To those of you who have experience in such weather, what cameras have performed better or have less to troubleshoot under such conditions? My first thought would be the Moviecam (maybe even the superamerica as it has less digital components then newer cameras) mainly because of its ease in loading and lack of magazine gears. Any other additional tips and precautions would be greatly appreciated.

hello i'm a bit experienced i filmed in the sahara this month of august with a 435 arri and 5 years ago in egypt with an imax.

most of the trubles doesn't come from the heat (except from film stock) but from the dust.

Raymond depardon the photographer did a long featur in the sahara he used kind of a dark room around camera body and the tripod to be able to reload without dust."a man without the occident" "un homme sans l'occident" (in french).

if you doesn't need sync sound take a 435 or a arri III if not good luck.

for the stock i freezed it (the 65mm stock) and send it to the lab in cooler as soon as filmed.

i hope it's helped you. i'm shur you'll find icredible light in the desert theyre are rules about that to aske experienced DP's

• Premium Member
...most of the trubles doesn't come from the heat (except from film stock) but from the dust.

Do try to keep the unprocessed film cool, certainly not in the hot sun any longer than a human can stand. Better in a shaded tent with a breeze than in the sun or in an enclosed vehicle that can become an oven. If an air conditioned area is available, use it.

Shade, cooling, very important.

Be carefull with the sand. When using an Arri III, cover/tape the dial from the magazine with clear plastic as this opening will give grains of sand access to the magazine and all of the camera, giving very interesting scratches!

Seen that and done that!

Sand is your main enemy, you have no idea how far it can come, in every hole and opening, by wind, sweat, from your hair, etc.

Be super careful or you will get hurt (scratches and mechanical failure)

Take also care of yourself, the heat and dry air will extract the moisture from your body and brain as well, you only feel that when it´s too late!

Rob van Gelder, Bangkok Thailand