Coppola v.s Polanski

Xuefei24p

Coppola is more the formalist than Polanski, the dreamer. I suppose that Coppola's submissions of Apocalypse Now, The Conversation, The Godfather, parts I and II. He is the only filmmaker to twice take the Palme d'Or. His films are, at times, on the level with Kurosawa, but he will never aspire to the true greatness of Renoir, of Bergman.

Polanski was a suprisingly bold young man who made three classic films all in a short period, and lost it. The oscars were a sympathy vote. I loved the film, but I question this onslaught of Holocaust films. I am disgusted by profiteering from the Jewish dead, whether it be by Jew or Gentile. I am not opposed to works of a historical vein that deal with these aspects of the United States Second World War against the Nazi's, but to churn it out again and again, one begins to miss the point, and we are rewarded with a snuff film. I digress.

Coppola over Polanski.

I'd go with Coppola any day. Polanski's best is Chinatown and I don't think even that can manage to reach what Coppola accomplished with the two Godfather films, Apocalypse Now, and The Conversation. Coppola stands among Kurosawa, Welles, Hitchcock, and Lean as one of my favorite (if not the favorite) all time directors.

When I was in film school, one of my film studies teachers screened "The Conversation" and noted the following definition of a "caul": A part of the amnion, one of the membranes enveloping the fetus, which sometimes is round the head of a child at its birth. Not sure if that is pushing it a bit for what Coppola's intentions may have been, but given the story he tells during the film's dream sequence about having been a sickly child, it seems like the name + jacket couldn't have been a coincidence