Films shot on Super 16

Martin Yernazian

• Site Sponsor
Who needs 35 or complex HD gear anymore?? :ph34r:

Constant gardner was a Super16 / 35mm mix and looked great. I saw 2K northlight scans from this picture (raw) and got to play around with them on a Baselight4 super16 to 2K on an oversampled scanner looks really great if shot well. And I suppose the over complex electrolux cam has a place too....

-Rob-

Agreed - Cold Fusion is a great ski / snowboarding film. I saw the premier at the local cinema and i hate to say this but it was projected on video and the resolution / colour was appalling. Good photography though.

And a classic snowboarding film shot on 16mm and featuring stunning cinematography of big mountain riding is TB5.

There were some really interesting segments in that film like skiing on that mountain in Africa. Good snowboarding footage in there too. When I was making my way to the cinema, I was actually expecting it to be projected on film but I got a nasty surprise. Besides the image quality being awful thanks to supposedly 'state of the art' video projection, they were having trouble with the sound. The first several minutes of the film were in complete silence and the audience were getting agitated. Someone yelled out: "Refund!"

Agreed - Cold Fusion is a great ski / snowboarding film. I saw the premier at the local cinema and i hate to say this but it was projected on video and the resolution / colour was appalling. Good photography though.

And a classic snowboarding film shot on 16mm and featuring stunning cinematography of big mountain riding is TB5.

The films are Mack Dawg productions and they are all filmes on S16mm. I agree I think they look great, all of the TB series.

Sasha

There were some really interesting segments in that film like skiing on that mountain in Africa. Good snowboarding footage in there too. When I was making my way to the cinema, I was actually expecting it to be projected on film but I got a nasty surprise. Besides the image quality being awful thanks to supposedly 'state of the art' video projection, they were having trouble with the sound. The first several minutes of the film were in complete silence and the audience were getting agitated. Someone yelled out: "Refund!"

Yeah, that Africa segment was pretty cool. I think my fav sagment from CF tho is either the opening, the one with Seth Morrison, Doug Combs, Shane Zauks and Glen Plake, or the one in Alaska with Foo FIghters Everlong. Cant remember the guys names...

I cant belive that they went HD tho, Brian Sicleman (on of the Director/Cameramen) even said that film was part of the whole warren miller thing...

"Reservoir Dogs"

"Reservoir Dogs" was shot in Super-35.

And I'm not even 100% sure if this particular film was shot on 16mm but I assume it was - the Rolling Stones concert film of their US 1981 tour - 'Let's Spend the Night Together.'

Coincidentally, I had a conversation with Caleb Deschanel, ASC a couple of weeks ago about The Rolling Stones' "Let's Spend The Night Together." He was the film's DP, and his recollection is that it was shot in 35mm (with an insane number of cameras). The IMDb, amazingly, claims it was shot in 65mm!

Why, of course "Let's Spend The Night Together" had a theatrical release. It has gone under at least three different titles: (1) "Time Is On Our Side" (2) "Rocks Off" (3) "Let's Spend The Night Together."

Earliest release I'm aware of was in (West) Germany during 1982. The U.S. release was in February 1983. Embassy, its U.S. distributor, even struck 70mm six-track stereo blow-up prints for major markets. U.K. release in March '83.

Edited by Michael Coate

Parts of "Easy Rider"

&

All the B&W footage in "The Blair Witch Project"

But the B/W footage was Xfered to SD for editing with the 8mm video, which destroyed any quality it might have had.

The 16mm section of 'Easy Rider' was on Ektachrome EF and looks very different from the 35mm.

Which it was meant to.

The cocktail party in 'Medium Cool' was shot on ECO 7255.

R.Duval's 'Angelo, my Love' was 16R 7247. The low light scenes shot with the CP/Kowa primes look good, while a lot of daylight scenes seem to have the zoom out of whack.

'Female Trouble' and 'Desperate Living' are good blow ups from ECO 7252.

I think there's an EF shot in the latter which sticks out. Queen Carlotta in her throne room.

• Premium Member
MY dinner with Andre was shot on 16, just so it last night and I was really impresed!

Great film!

Keep Posting my friends! ( Finishing my collection soon)

I was the second electrician on this film, one of the best jobs I ever had.

bully (2001)

Dir: Larry Clark

Dop: Steve Gainer.

Nothing really pushed the limits cinematographically about this film but the over all visual aesthetic suited the story well.

Bully was shot with the old Kodak Vision 800T, overexposed at 500 asa for tighter grain and better color.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0242193/technical

Rob Zombie's The Devil's Rejects was shot in super 16. I like good exploitation films, but this wasn't one of them. The script (esp. dialog) was amateurish, and that "Freebird" ending was totally self indulgent. --But the images are nice and gritty, works for the subject matter.

There was a Liv Tyler horror film shooting near here, The Strangers, I heard it was super 16.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0482606/

There should be more lower budget super 16 releases in multiplexes. That way you could have more films with obscure tastes that could still make a profit. Big budgets usually equal trying to please all audiences, which makes for dull, watered-down ideas. :angry:

Bully was shot with the old Kodak Vision 800T, overexposed at 500 asa for tighter grain and better color.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0242193/technical

Correction: Forgot to enter, that Bully was shot on **35mm**, 800T, 5289

Edited by Steve Zimmerman