black lights turning green

Kara Stephens

I tried shooting some black lights on my xl-1 (tungsten setting) and they looked green on the monitor and through the eyepiece. Why is this and is there anyway to make them look purple on screen and still have them be effective? I'm trying to make a painting glow that was painted with flourecent paint.

thanks

• Premium Member

Black light is ultraviolet, so I'd test a UV filter -- maybe even stack up two or three of them. It looks like the green chip also has some UV sensitivity. If these are flourescents, it could also be the mercury lines.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

I agree. When shooting fluorescent objects illuminated by ultraviolet "black light", you should use a UV filter (e.g., Kodak Wratten 2B) over the camera lens. You want the film or electronic sensor to only "see" the visible light from the glowing objects in the scene, and not the UV light illuminating them.

• 1 month later...

Nothing ended up working. I tried different color balancing, uv filters and a combo of both, yet the blacklight bulbs still appeared green. I could make the whole world look magenta but the bulbs were always green. I ended up using cool white tubes with a heavy purple gel on them to make it look like a black light. Weird.

• Premium Member
Nothing ended up working. ... I could make the whole world look magenta but the bulbs were always green

That sure sounds like the problem is the strong spectral lines of mercury. In that case, your solution of using visible light flourescents with gel instead of real UV's is likely to be the best.

-- J.S.

I've heard "Congo Blue" gel can work for this. It's a pretty color on its own, but I've never tried to get objects to fluoresce with it. Can anyone back this up?

Yes, that works or use Lee 200 Double CTB over Daylight Kino's or Chroma 50's. Or use like a Full and a Double CTB over a Tungsten lamp. It won't be as radient as Black light but it will cause the paint to have an obvious glow. There is also a Lee filter called Zenith that transmits like 90% above 750nm.

• Premium Member

Hi,

Congo blue over HMIs will get fluorescent paints glowing; also, look into blue dichroic filters which are often found in intelligent lighting (which commonly have cold, discharge sources). Most of them are specifically designed to pass the longwave UV from the lamp to illuminate UV-active smoke particles for spectacular aerial effects, and may well work for you.

Pihl