Favorite HD Films

My apologies for being lazy and not digging for this info.

I was interested in what digital films you all appreciate. I have some research

to do and I was hoping to get a list going on HD films so that I can netflix and

coop myself up for a couple days.

If you could include what resolution / format it was shot on - or camera, that would be helpful.

Or if you have any links to lists that would be great too.

Thanks

• Premium Member

I liked the look of "Sin City", shot on the F950, going to the SRW1 tape recorder (1920 x 1080P, 10-bit, 4:4:4, mildly compressed.)

Others didn't like it, but I liked how "Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith" turned out, also shot the same way (F950, etc.)

"Zodiak", out right now, is perhaps the most natural-looking of the HD features out there. Viper in 2.35 mode, going out uncompressed to hard drives, again 1080P, 10-bit, 4:4:4.

Also liked the look of "Collateral", and though again, some people hated the look, "Miami Vice", which to me explores an electronic, video-ish aesthetic rather than a traditional film look.

Also, the Genesis movies to date: "Superman Returns", "Flyboys", "Apocalypto" (not out yet on DVD.)

Of the F900 HDCAM features, I think "Once Upon a Time in Mexico" turned out well.

There are some smaller indie features, like my own "Jackpot" (F900 HDCAM) or "After Midnight" (an Italian movie about a young man living and working inside a cinema museum in Turin.) Also "Quinceanera".

I liked the look of "Sin City", shot on the F950, going to the SRW1 tape recorder (1920 x 1080P, 10-bit, 4:4:4, mildly compressed.)

Others didn't like it, but I liked how "Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith" turned out, also shot the same way (F950, etc.)

Not to nitpick, but both of these pictures owe far more of their look to CGI and matte painting work than they do to live action photography. The only things that were "photographed" in either of these pictures were generally the principal actors and occasional small set pieces, especially in "Sin City." I would add, however, that in "Star Wars" much of the miniature photography (although, contrary to what George has said, not all of it) was done with the 950 as well.

Guest Tim Partridge

Just out of interest, RAINBOW shot by Freddie Francis (not very good film directed by Bob Hoskins in 1995)- was this an HD milestone? www.imdb.com says the camera was a Sony HDC 500. You never hear anyone talk about this movie, yet at the time all the press releases were really saying HD rivals film, etc. much like they continue to do over ten years later.

Hey guys, thanks a lot for your input. Sorry I've been offline for a couple days. The technical info is especially helpful. I'm sure I'll have some thoughts after I watch some of these I have not seen yet, beware this thread

may return. Thanks again David.

I am gonna go Superman Returns, Zodiac, The Quiet, and for its time Once upon a Time in Mexico was a a great exploration of the F900's limits and faults at an early phase.. Sin City was a technical achievement but just looked like HD.

I feel like the Genesis has produced the most filmic images of the bunch but the Vipers native 2.35 and recent advances in its workflow have become very good too (along with price tag).