Interior lighting references

Bianca

Hi-

Does anyone have any suggestions on films that have beautifully shot interior scenes? Looking for references of feel-good lighthearted films, so it can't be a dark film. What films, classic or new, have hyperreal interior scenes that capture the spirit of fantastic. Perhaps where furniture comes alive- films where interiors are almost their own character....

thank you in advance...

• Premium Member

It's a rather broad question, especially since most really interesting room lighting tends to be shadowy by nature, but my first response is to suggest "Amelie" and "The Little Princess" (the Cuaron version.)

But to me, "magical" tends to be dark and mysterious too, like the house in "The Secret Garden."

You might look at the house scenes in "A.I." as well.

One of the interior house scenes that I like is "House of Sand and Fog". The light arc in the house is pretty good. Lit by Deakins. Also, beleive it or not, the houses in "The Godfather" would be some that I would reference as well.

I kno wyou are looking for feel good lighthearted films, but you might want to reference them because in both film, they have a light arc and it could help you in telling a story.

Cheers,

C.

• Premium Member

It's much easier to think of moody films where the house interior is atmospheric and magical, something like George Barnes' work in movies like "Rebecca" and "Jane Eyre". Or Ridley Scott's sci-fi-fantasy movies like "Alien", "Blade Runner", "Legend". Or a dark period movie like "Snow Falling on Cedars". Or Conrad Hall's work in "Searching for Bobby Fischer" and "Road to Perdition."

I'll second David on "Road to Perdition," fabulous interiors. Those bounces coming off the walls and floors are marvelous and they feel like wood. I always loved the interiors in "Bridges of Madison County" maybe they aren't magical but they feel very realistic to me an I find that in a way magical. They have definite character of Morning, Afternoon, Evening and Night.

The most "magical" I could think of would be "Pennies From Heaven" for many reasons. There is really great stuff in that movie, some of it audacious, but for some reason I'm always amazed at that bathroom where Steve Martin sings toward the beginning of the movie. It's not anything special technicaly, it just seems to fit the moment so perfectly.