concert jib arm

Mark Allen

First off - I'm a director/producer yet I'm stuck trying to make a budget for a shoot I will most likely be doing next month which will involve a jib arm because it's a concert shoot. I don't normally do live events, so this is new territory for me.

Can anyone suggest what type of rig i should be looking at renting and how many people it would take to safely operate it?

Too vague? I know... well... I'm guesing it's a 1000 seat theater, I'm guessing I will have space in the aisles or removed seats to place the base. I'm guessing we'll need something which can sweep over the audience as well as get back behind the performer to show the audience.

Is there some standard piece of equipment people use for this kind of thing?

I'm saying all I know at this point. initial budgets are like this... you get no information and are expected to figure out somethng that would work.

Thanks.

• Premium Member

Mark,

Your best bet is probably a Jimmy Jib Triangle. This is the standard jib arm that is used for many live events like the Oscars, Emmy's, etc. It can be operated by one person, who can both swing the arm and operate the head at the same time. Just make sure that the operator you get is experienced. It takes a lot of practice to be good with this kind of jib, and a newbie operator could be more hassle than you want.

Good luck.

Mark,

Your best bet is probably a Jimmy Jib Triangle.....

Thank you! Sounds perfect, will look into that. Will definitel get an experienced operator. If anyone reading this has Las Vegas recommendations for me - send me a private message.