Connecting my AT-897 mic to my camera

Joel Jost

Hi,

I just bought a audio-technica at-897. And I have Sony HDR-DC1 camera so it has 1/8" in put jack for a microphone.

My at-897 mic is mono and has XLR out put so my question is how do i make the audio run into both right and left audio channels into my camera? And how should I hook it up to my camera?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Joel Jost

Edited by Joel Jost

Hi,

I just bought a audio-technica at-897. And I have Sony HDR-DC1 camera so it has 1/8" in put jack for a microphone.

My at-897 mic is mono and has XLR out put so my question is how do i make the audio run into both right and left audio channels into my camera? And how should I hook it up to my camera?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Joel Jost

My advice is to use a preamp. You can grab the mono signal and just use a Y cable to connect it to both L/R inputs but I don't recommend it.

Sidenote : 1/8 and 1/4 jacks when mono will connect to both right and left + pins on the device.

So all you'd need is a simple XLR to 1/4 converter (could be bought as a cable) and a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter to plug into your HDR camera.

The sound you'll get from this setup will be sub-par, as you're loosing the "balanced pin" on the XLR.

I suggest a cheap ($99 Presonus) preamp before connecting to your HDR.

tubepre.jpg

If you are going to go the Adapter route. Just go to Sam Ash or equivalent and buy a "MONO" 1/4 to 1/8 adapter, and a XLR to 1/4 MIC cable. ($20-$30) and you'll be set.

Make sure that the adapter is high quality so as not to damage the 1/8 input on the HDR, and make sure the total cable tension will not rip out the plug or cause damage (happened to me with 1/4 headphone plugs adapted to 1/8 with Laptops --- ALOT ---)