XL2 Micrphone

Michael Means

Does anybody know if I will be able to unhook the XL2's front microphone and hook up another microphone to that input? I would like to use a better shotgun mic, but it has a mini-plug connector and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if I can connect that mini-plug to the front mic's input (since the back ones are XLRs). The front mic's input has 2 plugs, so that's why i'm a little confused.

Does anybody know if I will be able to unhook the XL2's front microphone and hook up another microphone to that input? I would like to use a better shotgun mic, but it has a mini-plug connector and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if I can connect that mini-plug to the front mic's input (since the back ones are XLRs). The front mic's input has 2 plugs, so that's why i'm a little confused.

I am not sure, but you can use another mic via the XLR inputs.

A quick look through the manual seems to suggest that the front mic adapter is specifically for the front mic. The other available audio input (aside from XLR) is the Audio1 RCA input.

What mic are you using that has a mini-plug connection? If you were going for quality I would think you would want an XLR connection.

I will say this about the front mic: When I use mine it picks up way too much - it's very sensitive and I don't often find it practical. 1-2 shotgun mics on the XLR connections work perfect.

Your local pro audio shop should be able to make a XLR to minijack adaptor. The XLs front input is unusual in that, yes, it uses two (Left and Right) rather than a stereo TRS configuration. This is the same type of connector that airlines use for thier headphone jacks. An XLR to dual mono minijacks should do the trick. Otherwise, an XLR to single minijack will give you audio only to one channel.

Daniel

Thanks for the replies. I guess I will just get an adapter for a phone plug to XLR. But if I have to convert my mini-plug to 1/4" plug to hook into a 1/4" plug to XLR adapter would that make the sound quality reduce a lot, or will it be okay to do that? I hope that makes sense. Thanks again.