Any wisdom on these?

Hi,

They look good. Cheap and easily portable but i'm not sure how durable they would be compared to something like Kino. Maybe a good cheap pack for a documentary film maker or someone that does a lot of interviews.

Even the way they are marketed is "cheap and easy to do it" sort of thing with girls in cocktail dresses. Nothing about these units really appeals to the professional filmmaker.

• Premium Member

Second what James said. Here in Austria/Germany these units are sold under the brand Walimex. Some of their stuff is pretty good (I have a 5in1 foldable reflector, that I like a lot) but usually it's really cheaply made. Might be okay for a ultra-low budget shoot, but don't expect them to last very long.

Regards, Dave

• Premium Member
I believe that all lighting & grip gear should be handled by women in evening gowns.

LOL, I doubt that would work well. Think of production scrambling all over the sets to tell us to stop staring :D

Cheers, Dave

Hi,

They look good. Cheap and easily portable but i'm not sure how durable they would be compared to something like Kino. Maybe a good cheap pack for a documentary film maker or someone that does a lot of interviews.

Even the way they are marketed is "cheap and easy to do it" sort of thing with girls in cocktail dresses. Nothing about these units really appeals to the professional filmmaker.

hi, the stuff looks real good and kinda inexpensive. are these cool lights available in india ? actually, part of my minidv docu work involves interviews and i get the same effect (more or less ) by festooning 4x 400 watt chinese-made flouroscent globes in chinaballs that wraps around the subject from seperate light weight aluminium stands. :) rk