BRITISH FILM INDUSTRY PART II

though i meant more along the lines of stuff you'll see here http://nfb.ca/animation/objanim/en/, your post brings up a great point...

the state-funded efforts of the film board has indirectly resulted in a growing and successful commercial animation, post & vfx industry in canada (aided by the tax breaks attracting US productions).

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

though i meant more along the lines of stuff you'll see here http://nfb.ca/animation/objanim/en/, your post brings up a great point...

the state-funded efforts of the film board has indirectly resulted in a growing and successful commercial animation, post & vfx industry in canada (aided by the tax breaks attracting US productions).

People like me are working hard in Canada to see that all that state funding goes away. Why should my tax dollars subsidize other people while I get nothing?

R,

People like me are working hard in Canada to see that all that state funding goes away. Why should my tax dollars subsidize other people while I get nothing?

R,

if you think those animators are getting rich from their nfb grants or they aren't working hard to complete their projects, then you're crazy. i know of animators who've worked on big nfb-sponsored projects and the pay isn't really competitive-- they take the gigs because they wanna work on something with merit that'll turn out good, rather than make bank working on a sani-flush commercial.

would you rather the nfb be funding movies about creatures chasing bikini-clad women around an abandoned prison? last time i checked the video store, there were plenty of those to choose from. besides, you can always write your equivalent of a congressman and let them know how you feel about it.

the nfb contributing to the growth of the canadian anim/post/vfx industry has been largely via education & inspiration, not actual funding.

Edited by Jaan Shenberger

R,

With all due respect, Richard, this is the same attitude that has forty-five million hard-working people without healthcare in the United States. It is, in my opinion, a narrow-minded way of looking at things. From where I'm standing, public funding of the film industry can only help you in the long run. The more business that comes to Canada, because of its reputation for high caliber talent, the more opportunities there will be for individuals like yourself.

Unlike in the United States, competitive climbers throughout many European countries are government funded. Consequently, Europe has a much higher concentration of top-flite climbers. I see this in many aspects of life.

Edited by Ken Cangi

• Premium Member

Canada Water? Christ.

[Note to Americans: Canada Water is an extremely upscale part of the east London docks redevelopment, filled with high-class condos that are worth eight to twelve times what I make in a year, and up. It's not quite Beverly Hills, but it is next door to the bit of London that's effectively Beverly Hills. You have to be exceedingly rich to live there.]

Oh well, now we know why you can afford all those short films!

Phil

"would you rather the nfb be funding movies about creatures chasing bikini-clad women around an abandoned prison? last time i checked the video store, there were plenty of those to choose from. besides, you can always write your equivalent of a congressman and let them know how you feel about it."

Ha! Ha! Very funny, oh hilarious. You guys make me laugh, move here and pay the taxes. Until then, shut the *bleep* up!! Guess what, I pay 14% on every thing I buy here, what do you pay, 5-7%?

The very fact that you don't know what the Canadian equivalent of a congressman is says a lot.

And yes, I would prefer if the NFB made films about monsters chasing bikini clad women around an abandoned prison. At least people would watch it. Which is more than can be said for what the NFB and CBC churn out now. Look film is not art, it's a business, period end of story. You make the product, then you sell the product. You guys think Hollywood is a non-profit organization? Who among you can afford to make movies that will never make a return? None of you, so a few of you want tax paying suckers like me to foot the bill. Well forget it, sick of it.

Hey Ken if you want to move to Canada and pay Canadian taxes so you can have free healthcare we'd be glad to have you. I lived in Utah for five years, it's one of the lowest taxed jurisdictions in the industrialized world. Six months of living in Canada Ken would have you running back across the border never to return. You talk the talk, but would you walk the walk?

R,

And for the record Jaan Shenberger the monsters never chase bikini clad women around the prison, they are fully clothed while being chased.

• Premium Member
And for the record Jaan Shenberger the monsters never chase bikini clad women around the prison, they are fully clothed while being chased.

Just make sure the DVD box cover implies that the women are semi-clothed...

Miramax used to do that weird thing of using racier cover art for the VHS version compared to the DVD version, so a relatively tame movie like "Picture Bride" looked like an art film on DVD but an erotic thriller on VHS.

Just make sure the DVD box cover implies that the women are semi-clothed...

Miramax used to do that weird thing of using racier cover art for the VHS version compared to the DVD version, so a relatively tame movie like "Picture Bride" looked like an art film on DVD but an erotic thriller on VHS.

You're always the voice of reason David....pointing out the more important matters at hand :D

The new woman being added to the movie provides some serious female bling. Hint, Deal Or No Deal model turns actress! I'm sure she'll be used on the cover and little else. Well maybe the new "wolf beast" in the BG.

Yes, my movie will absolutely enrage the Canadian film "elite". If I don't get slammed by the Toronto Star and the CBC I have failed in my goals. The more they hate it, the more DVD renters will like it.

R,

Hey Ken if you want to move to Canada and pay Canadian taxes so you can have free healthcare we'd be glad to have you. I lived in Utah for five years, it's one of the lowest taxed jurisdictions in the industrialized world. Six months of living in Canada Ken would have you running back across the border never to return. You talk the talk, but would you walk the walk?

R,

I lived in Montreal for a year, and my wife and I are seriously considering moving back there or to BC. She is a dual citizen of Canada and the United States. She and her family were born and raised in Montreal, and they still live there. I realize that the taxes are higher, although I have weighed the quality of life, politics, and healthcare against living in the US, and this place is becoming less able to measure up, IMO.

As for Utah, I have only been in SLC for two seasons, and I can't wait to leave here. What this place gains in a lower cost of living, it dreadfully lacks in cultural diversity and general quality of living, unless you are a child-breeding, right wing, religious fundamentalist. The mountain landscape here is beautiful, although in no way more so than BC. I have lived in more than a dozen major cities in this country alone - including NYC, Miami, L.A., Altanta, and my hometown (Boston), so my comparison is not based in ignorance.

Anyway, none of this was meant to provoke an argument with you, Richard. I am just trying to make the point that Canada has some distinct advantages when it comes to addressing the bigger picture. The United States has become, IMO, a society of instant gratification and self indulgence. It is every man and woman for his and herself. I am not going to go off on a political diatribe, but I think the state of this country is pretty clear to anyone who has been paying attention for the past few decades.

Edited by Ken Cangi

Ok well we look forward to having you back.

FYI, Quebec and BC can hardly be considered a part of Canada. Every one knows Ontario is the best :D

R,

Ok well we look forward to having you back.

FYI, Quebec and BC can hardly be considered a part of Canada. Every one knows Ontario is the best :D

R,

Thanks, Richard. BTW, You guys up there know that Canada is the best kept secret in North America. Sorry to blow your cover.

• Premium Member
Oh well, now we know why you can afford all those short films!

Stop being such an idiot Phil.

You don't know anything about my situation, financial or otherwise so stop your insulting implications.

• Premium Member

Phil, your constant whining is getting very tedious.

On one hand you're always complaining how bad the financing of films and the film industry as a whole in the UK are, but on the other hand it is completely incomprehensible to you that other countries might have a much better system for funding of films, including shorts. But then again, that attitude is vintage Phil Rodes: pulling everything down to your own miserable level and expecting everyone else to drown in the same self-sorrow and defeatism that you specialize in.

Just so you know, I have never invested a single cent into any of my films, they all got made with money from the Filmfund of Luxembourg as well as the production company. I have also worked with enough British crew people to know that one can have a succesful career in the UK film industry and that you only have yourself to blame for your own lack of one.

Whenever some posts questions about the UK, be it the industry, filmschools or whatever, you always jump on it to start your usual whining which is getting very repetitious and tedious. If you'd spend the same energy into furthering your career you'd be in Hollywood already, instead of being the most miserable camera/edit on this planet. Just do us all a favour and keep your self-sorrow to yourself, because really, that is the only person it applies to.

Phil, your constant whining is getting very tedious.

On one hand you're always complaining how bad the financing of films and the film industry as a whole in the UK are, but on the other hand it is completely incomprehensible to you that other countries might have a much better system for funding of films, including shorts. But then again, that attitude is vintage Phil Rodes: pulling everything down to your own miserable level and expecting everyone else to drown in the same self-sorrow and defeatism that you specialize in.

Just so you know, I have never invested a single cent into any of my films, they all got made with money from the Filmfund of Luxembourg as well as the production company. I have also worked with enough British crew people to know that one can have a succesful career in the UK film industry and that you only have yourself to blame for your own lack of one.

Whenever some posts questions about the UK, be it the industry, filmschools or whatever, you always jump on it to start your usual whining which is getting very repetitious and tedious. If you'd spend the same energy into furthering your career you'd be in Hollywood already, instead of being the most miserable camera/edit on this planet. Just do us all a favour and keep your self-sorrow to yourself, because really, that is the only person it applies to.

Not everyone can bilk their government for their own vanity projects. I can't image short films being of any real value to the greater good.

• Premium Member
Not everyone can bilk their government for their own vanity projects. I can't image short films being of any real value to the greater good.

Haha

I knew you would try to stir some poop here.

The government of Luxembourg was actually very pleased when my last film won in Venice and they are very happy to support my future projects, as they have said on numerous occasions :P

• Premium Member

All you have to do is move to Luxembourg. You don't even have to become a citizen, just being a resident is enough to qualify. So you too could make your own vanity projects in no time at all ;) And meet plenty of Icelandic Pilots in the mean time.

Would you prefer that our goverments bilk us for money to fund their expedient, bullshit wars? Ya know, George Bush came into office on a crusade to toss aside arts and liberal arts, in our higher education system, in favor of creating a predominately business oriented curriculum. I can't say that he is solely responsible for the change, although I call tell you the the paradigm shift toward turning some of our major universities into glorified trade schools had done nothing to enhance American intellect. These degree factories pump out armies of IT grads, who know little or nothing about political science, history, human and social psychology, and liberal arts in general. Most can't even form a competent sentence.

If a society teaches nothing but business and economics, then the only inspiration that we will have to look forward to is work, work, and more work. That's a great scenario for the ones pulling the strings, but it does little toward enhancing the quality of life and awareness within a society? Is that possibly what you mean by the better good? Moreover, what makes you think that very powerful social messages cannot be portrayed in fifteen minute films?

Edited by Ken Cangi

my apologies for misrepresenting your project. haha.

and to be clear, i don't think there's anything wrong with making films like that, but it's hard to understand that you can't see cinema as anything beyond just business. and you have my sympathies on that sales tax.

All you have to do is move to Luxembourg. You don't even have to become a citizen, just being a resident is enough to qualify. So you too could make your own vanity projects in no time at all ;) And meet plenty of Icelandic Pilots in the mean time.

There are a lot of Icelandic pilots working for Cargo Lux. I actually like Luxembourg. Wouldn't mind living there. It is much nicer than Iceland. Well, the duchy can well afford funding film projects. Being the richest country in the world.

Would you prefer that our goverments bilk us for money to fund their expedient, bullshit wars? Ya know, George Bush came into office on a crusade to toss aside arts and liberal arts, in our higher education system, in favor of creating a predominately business oriented curriculum. I can't say that he is solely responsible for the change, although I call tell you the the paradigm shift toward turning some of our major universities into glorified trade schools had done nothing to enhance American intellect. These degree factories pump out armies of IT grads, who know little or nothing about political science, history, human and social psychology, and liberal arts in general. Most can't even form a competent sentence.

If a society teaches nothing but business and economics, then the only inspiration that we will have to look forward to is work, work, and more work. That's a great scenario for the ones pulling the strings, but it does little toward enhancing the quality of life and awareness within a society? Is that possibly what you mean by the better good? Moreover, what makes you think that very powerful social messages cannot be portrayed in fifteen minute films?

George Bush and the United States are not followers of liberterian values. I love cinema. Just because I don't want the government to allocate my taxes to film production, doesn't mean that I want cinema to cease to exist. I believe that films should adhere to the philosophy of "user-charges". Ideally, bad movies would not be made because no one would go to see them.

> move to Luxembourg

Where you too can be a rapacious, corpulent tax exile.

But seriously, I don't even speak Luxembourg...er...ish?

Phil

What is wrong with paying little taxes?

Edited by Arni Heimir