Waterlogged Angenieux

Brandon Rubesh

I've recently decided to start using my bolex again. The thing is that a few years back my Angenieux 12-120 got completely waterlogged and now has old mildew all over the inner and outer elements. Though I'm mainly interested in getting some good primes to use, I was also wodering if anyone knows how expensive it would be to get the Angenieux cleaned and re calibrated. I guess I always just assumed that it would be to expensive to be worth it...... But maybe I'm wrong.

Any info's good info - Thanks

I've recently decided to start using my bolex again. The thing is that a few years back my Angenieux 12-120 got completely waterlogged and now has old mildew all over the inner and outer elements. Though I'm mainly interested in getting some good primes to use, I was also wodering if anyone knows how expensive it would be to get the Angenieux cleaned and re calibrated. I guess I always just assumed that it would be to expensive to be worth it...... But maybe I'm wrong.

depends where in the world you are. i know people that will do it for 300-400 on average. thats not counting removal of the mould and glue although it might not be much more than that. it also might not be a great idea becasue it could be lens fungus. let me know if you want a practically new lens that would just need the rear portion of your lens screwed on

depends where in the world you are. i know people that will do it for 300-400 on average. thats not counting removal of the mould and glue although it might not be much more than that. it also might not be a great idea becasue it could be lens fungus. let me know if you want a practically new lens that would just need the rear portion of your lens screwed on

I'm in Paris. I originaly bought that lense for about 400 on ebay so it probably wouldn't be worth it to spend the same amount getting it fixed. With this practically new one your talking about, I'd have to get a professional to screw the piece on or could I do it myself? What portion? The rear element or something less important? Thanks for the info.

Fungus 'pee' is an acid that etches the glass - this cannot be cleaned.. As soon as you see any fungus, stick the lens under UV light (the sun) to kill it then get it cleaned soon after ...

Although I dont know how easy it is to attach the rear element, once you have done so you'll be spending some time adjusting it to keep focus correctly when you zoom i.e. the back focus. Shouldn't be too hard though.

Fungus 'pee' is an acid that etches the glass - this cannot be cleaned.. As soon as you see any fungus, stick the lens under UV light (the sun) to kill it then get it cleaned soon after ...

Although I dont know how easy it is to attach the rear element, once you have done so you'll be spending some time adjusting it to keep focus correctly when you zoom i.e. the back focus. Shouldn't be too hard though.

these lenses were quite modular. the rear mount should mouont to other lenses quite easily.

Frankly, the Angenieux 12-120 zoom is not a very good lens. IMHO not worth repairing or owning.

Best save up for a Zeiss or Canon.

If its a Bolex it'll need to be collimated for the prism - or just get a vario-switar ... sharp as a Ziess - I personally prefer the primes

• Premium Member
Frankly, the Angenieux 12-120 zoom is not a very good lens. IMHO not worth repairing or owning.

Best save up for a Zeiss or Canon.

I'd have to disagree with that statement. While I admit that the quality control on the Angenieux 12-120 could be all over the map, some of them make very fine images. I had one that did very nice work and I regret selling it.

Ang50.jpg

Here are some clips of that particular lens at different zoom settings:

Angenieux set at 120mm

Angenieux set at 50mm

Angenieux set at 35mm

Angenieux set at 25mm

Angenieux set at 12mm

I would suspect that your waterlogged lens with mildew is not salvageable, but if anyone could salvage it, it would be Paul Duclos of Duclos Lenses. He is the reigning expert on Angenieux lenses in the United States.

-Tim

Thanks guys for the info. It pretty much falls in line with my initial assumption that, even if it can be fixed, its probably not worth all the effort. Especially since I'm looking to get some good primes for the camera anyway. I have seen some of these lenses create very beautiful images. But I've also seen them produce much less than satisfactory results. How good are the angenieux primes? I see them around from time to time and have always wondered about them. - Cheers

• Premium Member

In the old days, Angenieux was located in Paris. Per their web site, they still offer maintenance and repair. I don't know if the location they give is within a reasonable distance for you to take the lens in for an estimate:

http://www.angenieux.com/pages/index_frame.php?page=101.php

With this kind of problem, it's worth your while to have an expert look at the actual lens. Over the internet, we can only guess.

-- J.S.