PL Mount Adapter for JVC HD200 HD100

Guest Kal Karman

Guest kalkarman

See link: http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/dealer_...e=D&tree=GA

Hello... I am surprised to find this adapter as an accessory for 1/3" HDV cameras.

I've always thought that rotating prisms and vibrating glass would eventually be a thing of the past,

but are we already there? Does this PL adapter mean that I have 35mm depth of field without all

the *stuff* going on in other adapters?

If it's true, can I jump for joy?

Many Thanks,

Kal Karman

post-5611-1176630456.jpg

post-5611-1176630528.jpg

The JVC adapter allows Super 16 lenses to be used on their HDV cameras and reports from early users indicate a 16mm DOF.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=85007

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=78280

There is a similar adapter made for 2/3" CCD cameras by Angenieux and Zeiss that allow 35mm lenses to be used. http://www.cine-one.com/pdf/angenieux_hdconverter.pdf

The JVC adapter allows Super 16 lenses to be used on their HDV cameras and reports from early users indicate a 16mm DOF.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=85007

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=78280

There is a similar adapter made for 2/3" CCD cameras by Angenieux and Zeiss that allow 35mm lenses to be used. http://www.cine-one.com/pdf/angenieux_hdconverter.pdf

Just wondered if you can use this adapter with any other cameras apart from JVC?

Just wondered if you can use this adapter with any other cameras apart from JVC?

It's designed to be used on the interchangeable lens mount used on JVC HDV cameras.

Not having seen one, I couldn't tell you if they could be modified to be used on say a Canon H1. I can't see JVC doing it, but perhaps a third party camera engineering companies might be able to do the modification.

If it's theoretically possible, obviously someone is going have to take a risk on being the first person to try it.

It's designed to be used on the interchangeable lens mount used on JVC HDV cameras.

Not having seen one, I couldn't tell you if they could be modified to be used on say a Canon H1. I can't see JVC doing it, but perhaps a third party camera engineering companies might be able to do the modification.

If it's theoretically possible, obviously someone is going have to take a risk on being the first person to try it.

OH OK :) I thought when they say interchangeable it means er compatible with other lenses/lens?

OH OK :) I thought when they say interchangeable it means er compatible with other lenses/lens?

This doesn't fit in front of the camera's lens, it replaces a video lens and allows you to use PL mount film lenses on the JVC cameras.

The JVC HDV series allows you to change lenses, one of the options is this convertor instead of a video zoom lens. There are now a number of 1/3" video zooms available for these cameras. They also have an adapter that allow you to use 2/3" video lenses on the JVC.

However, the PL converter currently only has the JVC lens mount. I might be wrong, but I don't think the lens mount on the Canon 1/3" cameras is the same as on the JVCs.

However, this isn't a problem with the 2/3" video cameras, which all have B4 mounts.

This doesn't fit in front of the camera's lens, it replaces a video lens and allows you to use PL mount film lenses on the JVC cameras.

The JVC HDV series allows you to change lenses, one of the options is this convertor instead of a video zoom lens. There are now a number of 1/3" video zooms available for these cameras. They also have an adapter that allow you to use 2/3" video lenses on the JVC.

However, the PL converter currently only has the JVC lens mount. I might be wrong, but I don't think the lens mount on the Canon 1/3" cameras is the same as on the JVCs.

However, this isn't a problem with the 2/3" video cameras, which all have B4 mounts.

When I said interchangeable I was referring to the camera and its mount.The selling point of the JVC is its ability to have different lenses. Although it seems from what your suggesting that the JVC has a limited ability to use only its own lenses which really stretches the term of interchangeable lenses when what they really mean is you have to buy theirs and at a price they decide. Much like the canon really. I'm quite interested in the JVC and its ability to use camera lenses however Im not taken with HDV but I like the idea of an SDI output so future HD recorders could be used.

When I said interchangeable I was referring to the camera and its mount.The selling point of the JVC is its ability to have different lenses. Although it seems from what your suggesting that the JVC has a limited ability to use only its own lenses which really stretches the term of interchangeable lenses when what they really mean is you have to buy theirs and at a price they decide. Much like the canon really. I'm quite interested in the JVC and its ability to use camera lenses however Im not taken with HDV but I like the idea of an SDI output so future HD recorders could be used.

The 1/3" video lenses for these cameras are made by Canon and Fuji not JVC, they decide on the cost of their lenses. You can only use the lenses that are actually on the the market.

However, apart the 1/3" video lenses, with adapters you can use 1/2" & 2/3" video lenses and with the new PL mount converter you can use the 16mm film lenses.

If you want to have a HD SDI output you're looking at the JVC HD 250 or the Canon XL H1.

The 1/3" video lenses for these cameras are made by Canon and Fuji not JVC, they decide on the cost of their lenses. You can only use the lenses that are actually on the the market.

However, apart the 1/3" video lenses, with adapters you can use 1/2" & 2/3" video lenses and with the new PL mount converter you can use the 16mm film lenses.

If you want to have a HD SDI output you're looking at the JVC HD 250 or the Canon XL H1.

OK So I think this is right? With these adapters the JVC can use other lenses from other manufacturers.but other manufacturers dont have or may not have the adapters to use JVC lenses but if they do then the new JVC attachment for using 16mm lens could be used on other cameras with interchangeable lenses Im not thinking of the canon here but all cameras with b4 mounts. I think that applies to many pro cameras? You will have to excuse me on this Im trying to see if this can be used on other cameras and what would be the best configuration. Although I'm not likely to buy into any of this Im just interested!

OK So I think this is right? With these adapters the JVC can use other lenses from other manufacturers.but other manufacturers dont have or may not have the adapters to use JVC lenses but if they do then the new JVC attachment for using 16mm lens could be used on other cameras with interchangeable lenses Im not thinking of the canon here but all cameras with b4 mounts. I think that applies to many pro cameras? You will have to excuse me on this Im trying to see if this can be used on other cameras and what would be the best configuration. Although I'm not likely to buy into any of this Im just interested!

JVC don't make the lenses. Their HDV cameras have a mount that allows you to change lenses.

JVC have brought out a converter that allows you to use PL mount 16mm motion picture lenses on their camera. Currently you can only use this converter on cameras that have the same lens mount as the JVC cameras. You can't use it on B4 mounts.

The B4 mount is used on 2/3" video cameras, not 1/3" cameras. This new converter only works on 1/3" CCD cameras. There is a converter mentioned earlier in the thread that allows you to use 35MM PL mount motion picture lenses on B4 mount 2/3" CCD cameras.

• Premium Member

JVC makes a number of mounts including the HZ-CA13U for PL mount 16mm primes, and the ACM-17 that allows you to use 2/3 inch B4 mount HDTV lenses and the ACM-12 that allows you to use 1/2 inch versions.

Edited by WALTER GRAFF

I doubt that it will work. But I just ran across this on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CANON-XL1-XL2-CAMERA-X...1QQcmdZViewItem

or if that doesn't work......

Item number: 260105410133

It's funny what you find when you search for "arri". :)

Miles

I doubt that it will work. But I just ran across this on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CANON-XL1-XL2-CAMERA-X...1QQcmdZViewItem

or if that doesn't work......

Item number: 260105410133

It's funny what you find when you search for "arri". :)

Miles

Reading about this adapter for the canon and specifly looking at its simple shape compared to the buff in the JVC literature for their adapter and the price difference the suspicion is can this work or if it does are JVC pulling the wool over our eyes to sell a product that could really come as part of the package without much added cost.

I have a feeling the canon back adapter must have a weakness probably to much dof as its using the centre part of the lens and probably an upside down picture. Which is easily corrected in any NLE but disconcerting when filming with it?

Brian I have the feeling now that the JVC adapter is designed for the JVC and an adapter can be used to enable it to be used with other 1/3 ccd chip cameras of which there is only a few with interchangeable lenses. Thanks for the info. The JVC looks to be the best option all round for a film like look as the adapter is built for the camera. Other cameras do other things and the panasonic 200? is the most impressive if only it had interchangeable lenses.

• 2 weeks later...
See link: http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/dealer_...e=D&tree=GA

Hello... I am surprised to find this adapter as an accessory for 1/3" HDV cameras.

I've always thought that rotating prisms and vibrating glass would eventually be a thing of the past,

but are we already there? Does this PL adapter mean that I have 35mm depth of field without all

the *stuff* going on in other adapters?

If it's true, can I jump for joy?

Many Thanks,

Kal Karman

Check out the P+S Technik 35mini converter.

http://www.pstechnik.de/en/digitalfilm-min...p?region=Europe

that might be a good option?!?

I have a feeling the canon back adapter must have a weakness probably to much dof as its using the centre part of the lens and probably an upside down picture. Which is easily corrected in any NLE but disconcerting when filming with it?

The description states: "I hope this will address any questions you might have concerning the Arriflex-PL- XL1 Mount The Arriflex PL-LX Lens Adaptor is a mechanical mount that enables the cinematographer to use Arriflex PL lenses with the Canon XL-1/XLls. It is made of high quality stainless steel and can be used with any Arri PL mounted 35MM motion picture lenses as well as 16MM and super 16MM:"

It's a straight mount adapter, like a PL to C-mt. No optical components involved.

The 2x effect they are referring to is that the 1/3" chips are the size of an 8mm frame, which has 1/2 the dimensions of a 16mm frame.

The description states: "I hope this will address any questions you might have concerning the Arriflex-PL- XL1 Mount The Arriflex PL-LX Lens Adaptor is a mechanical mount that enables the cinematographer to use Arriflex PL lenses with the Canon XL-1/XLls. It is made of high quality stainless steel and can be used with any Arri PL mounted 35MM motion picture lenses as well as 16MM and super 16MM:"

It's a straight mount adapter, like a PL to C-mt. No optical components involved.

The 2x effect they are referring to is that the 1/3" chips are the size of an 8mm frame, which has 1/2 the dimensions of a 16mm frame.

When using the adaptor with either 16MM or 35MM lenses, most of the (DOF) depth of field is preserved, and it effectively increases the focal length of the PL mounted lens by 2x. Most DP's agree that having a 2x effect is beneficial because you are using the best part of the lens, the center. In essence, one gets a 2x extender and a PL mount.

The Canon adapter mentioned is of little to no practical use. It looks at the extreme center of the lens, a 7x magnification.

The JVC adapter uses optics to feed the films lens' image to the camera but it will still have the same field of view (and therefore depth of field) as the 1/3" video lenses made for the camera. The advantage to use this adapter is to get superior optics on the device that can really show off the camera's imaging capabilities. Depth of field will not be changed. The adapter eats almost no light and in our testing delivers very high optical performance. You won't get a better picture off a JVC camera.

When using the adaptor with either 16MM or 35MM lenses, most of the (DOF) depth of field is preserved, and it effectively increases the focal length of the PL mounted lens by 2x. Most DP's agree that having a 2x effect is beneficial because you are using the best part of the lens, the center. In essence, one gets a 2x extender and a PL mount.

The focal length stays the same, the angle of view changes. However, you need to be careful regarding chromatic aberration when you put film camera lenses onto a video camera with a prism. Usually it works better with the longer focal lengths.

Here is a review by Tim Dashwood of the JVC PL mount cine adapter, which does have optics in it.

http://www.videography.com/articles/article_14981.shtml

The Canon adapter mentioned is of little to no practical use. It looks at the extreme center of the lens, a 7x magnification.

The JVC adapter uses optics to feed the films lens' image to the camera but it will still have the same field of view (and therefore depth of field) as the 1/3" video lenses made for the camera.

Well this is what JVC say

IT takes the image from the lens and converts it to the proper proportion of the camcorder imager, preserving the depth of field (DoF) and field of view characteristics. The result is an optical tool that enables the use of 16mm, Super16 and 35mm film lenses with a PL mount with the JVC ProHD series of camcorders

The focal length stays the same, the angle of view changes. However, you need to be careful regarding chromatic aberration when you put film camera lenses onto a video camera with a prism. Usually it works better with the longer focal lengths.

Here is a review by Tim Dashwood of the JVC PL mount cine adapter, which does have optics in it.

http://www.videography.com/articles/article_14981.shtml

This is what I need its just a shame I can't afford it. I lost my job recently after 20 years with the same firm. But I would say out of all the consumer cameras I have seen this one is the best for the look of film. So far advanced compared to my canon GL.