c-stand etiquette?

Patrick Lavalley

thanks for clearing that up daniel! we don't use these in the u.k, so don't have a name for them. i like the look of them though, i'm going to make a couple so i can try them out! :D

They work well, Ian, and not just for bead board. They're also handy for things like stabilizing flags on car rigs etc. I think you'll find them very useful.

I know that one as a spring clamp. Comes in handy for holding show card, Depron and the like. I often use it with what Manfrotto sells as a flex arm.

Cheers, Dave

Dave,

what we'd call a Federklemme is what's considered a spring clip, on the east coast anyway. Schöne Grüße aus Köln

With the spring loaded stands I grab them with my left hand place the outer two of the leg tips behind my right calf and pull once on the short leg then again on the medium leg. Lighting fast and unfolds virtually inside of its own footprint. To close pick up the same way put the short leg against the front of your right calf or thigh then in two quick motions whip the other legs shut...Done.

One peeve of mine is when the electrics head up a lamp and let it slam all the way down on the pin then tighten. There are two reasons you don't want to do this:

1. You aren't getting the strap into the groove of the pin, a big safety issue.

2. Some lamps will bash into the protruding pin when trying to adjust the tilt. Bad form.

Edited by J. Lamar King

• Premium Member
what we'd call a Federklemme is what's considered a spring clip, on the east coast anyway. Schöne Grüße aus Köln

Hi Warwick,

I assume you mean the ones ranging from #1 to #4? Yep, I know them as well. Manfrotto still calls the one on the picture a Federklemme/spring clamp. Might be useful to call it a Manfrotto spring clamp next time. Dang, all them different names for the same ting! Can't even understand some of the grips/electricians around here since I learned most of my stuff from English books. I was like "What the hell is an 'Alumaschine'?" when a German speaking guy sent me off for a gobo head... :D

Cheers, Dave

Any idea where I can find a dictionary to translate all these film terms between languages/locations? At one point I saw ASC offering one for the language of your choice if you bought the cinematographer manual, but I never saw them for sale by themselves. Maybe someone should make a wiki film dictionary.

~Jess

• Premium Member
Any idea where I can find a dictionary to translate all these film terms between languages/locations? At one point I saw ASC offering one for the language of your choice if you bought the cinematographer manual, but I never saw them for sale by themselves. Maybe someone should make a wiki film dictionary.

Hi Jess,

I have the ASC English/German one and it's not really good. Some terms are outdated, some are obscure and the general language stuff is really strange as are the guides for pronunciation. Yeah, a wiki would be great! Not only for English/French/German, but for English/English and so on!

Cheers, Dave

yeah, even need translations for eastcoast/westcoast and such. I will put together wiki in the near future and will anounce it here so yall can help add to it. I have some danish friends I can have input the danish film terms. I used some of them on a film a while back but for the life of me can't remember them.

~Jess