Which film should I buy?! HELP!

Aaron Tan

Hello,

I've got a urgent question. The situation is this: I'm planning to shoot a short film on 7218 500T on the A-Minima. You can't get the special 200ft rolls of 7218 in Australia so I was going to buy 400ft and have the lab wind them onto A-Minima spools for me.

The problem is this: A location that we need has confirmed a date but its this coming Tuesday or never! I haven't purchased the film. It would also take a few days at least to let the film settle into its wind on the new spools so the 7218 is out of the question. I've got only two choices, 7246 250D or 7274 200T.

I'm using a lens that's got a T3.9 minimum aperture so I'll need lots of lights. I'm planning to shoot the scene that needs to be fairly well lit and I've got blondies and redheads. Which film should I go for? The obvious choice would be 200T but I want to get as much exposure as I can without using too many lights.

1. Would I be alright using 250D and gelling the lights?

2. Would I be alright using 250D and then color correcting the orange out in telecine?

3. Or should I just go the 200T? HELP! I've gotta order the film tomorrow morning.

A BIG THANKS!

I assume this is an interior with little natural daylight coming in and any kind of reflectors outside to bounce light in are out of the question. If so definitely go with the 200T, the CTB is going to rob too much light from your fixtures.

I wonder about letting the film "settle into its wind." I've shot spool downs to 100' daylight spools day of with no problem. Are the A-Minama spools special in this regard?

I wonder about letting the film "settle into its wind." I've shot spool downs to 100' daylight spools day of with no problem. Are the A-Minama spools special in this regard?

The A-Minima has a special 200ft daylight spool which has its film wound onto it different from a 400ft roll. This is what my film teacher has told us: Loading film from 400ft rolls onto the special A-Minima rolls requires the film to settle for at least four days into its new curl or else there will be issues.

I would just go with the 200T. Unless John has a secret source for 7218 A-Minima spools down under?

I wish they did. It would save me a lot of trouble. I wonder why they don't though? It's definately a question for John... Hope he sees this before I wake up tomorrow/this morning. :blink:

• Premium Member

If your lighting package is tungsten and your location is daylight, how were you planning on dealing with this on the '18 stock? It's hard to answer the question but it sounds like the problem isn't the film stock, it's your lens and your lighting package. You either need a faster lens or daylight lights or both.

So not knowing the location, for now, I'd say get the 200T if you can gel the windows. But if there is a lot of daylight coming in from lots of windows, I'd say get the 250D and find a way of getting some daylight lights (HMI's and Kinoflos). T/3.9 is an awfully slow lens.

Sorry, I should have been more clear about the location. It's a public bathroom in a cinema. No windows, no flourescents either. I think they're using halogens, their lights look orangish though.

Would turning off the practicals and bouncing lights off the ceiling be a viable solution to give the bathroom an overall well lit look? Or should I compliment the practicals with my tungsten lights? The bathroom is fairly white and spacious.

Sounds like 200T is the way to go. I'll look into getting a faster lens.

7274 is a great stock. I would always go towards the tungsten stock. Most of the situations where you need the speed are tungsten. You will find the fine grained 74 a terrific 16mm stock. I still try to avoid 500 ASA when shooting 16mm. Some big films, ?Day After Tomorrow? for example were shot on 200 ASA Kodak stock. Get a faster lens for sure.

Define "well lit". Bouncing light into the ceiling will often get you "properly exposed" but not necessarily well-lit if you want it to be pretty.

I want the toilet to have a clean and pretty look. As if it were a naturally well lit public bathroom. I'll have to find out what kind of practicals they have before I can work out a lighting plan... Any suggestions for a seemingly naturalistic well lit bathroom? I'll definately have to use a faster lens.

Thanks for everyone's advice on this urgent matter! I've decided on the 200T. However I've called the local rental house and they're out of fast lenses. I'll have to make do with my Fujicon T3.9. It's a really good lens, only slow. It'll be a fun challenge! :D

• Premium Member
The A-Minima has a special 200ft daylight spool which has its film wound onto it different from a 400ft roll.  This is what my film teacher has told us:  Loading film from 400ft rolls onto the special A-Minima rolls requires the film to settle for at least four days into its new curl or else there will be issues.

I'm sorry, but that doesn't sound true. I've shot with spooled Fuji on A-minima on at least 2 occasions within a day of spooling and there was no problem whatsoever.

I'm sorry, but that doesn't sound true. I've shot with spooled Fuji on A-minima on at least 2 occasions within a day of spooling and there was no problem whatsoever.

So the film would be alright settling into its new curl within a day or is there no problem regarding the curl?