Rough cut reel for review.

SpikeUM

Hi all,

This is the first time I have cut a reel together and it was hard as hell. I already see a lot I want to change and delete but I just wanted to get this far at least.

Please feel free to say anything about it and suggestions. I am more than open for critique.

Thanks!

Aram

Right click or command click and save to computer..

http://www.puffinfilms.com/Aram/Aram_DP_reel_Roughcut1.mov

The Bad: That openning is just interminable! And it's not really that good looking either. I didn't think the first sequence was the strongest. (I'd open w/ the black guy and white guy fighting.)

The Good: There's a lot of really good photography in your reel, enough that you can cut out everything that's not absolutely your best, and still end up w/ a substantial reel. It's amazing how short you can cut a shot, and still have it be effective.

Good luck!

Know any AC's who are available this weekend??? (NYC)

Thanks for the comments. I am trying to cut it to half but its tough. I should have someone else edit it for me maybe because the first reaction is to put everything in that I shot. Plus I have to more things I'm shooting now that are much better than some of the stuff on here and I have a gaffers shot I want to put in the end for lighting design.

I don't know any committed AC's, just other film makers with cameras. I'm shooting this weekend otherwise I'd offer myself. I'm pretty confident I can throw down some nice focus pulls. If you want some names though I can give them to you.

• Premium Member
Know any AC's who are available this weekend??? (NYC)

I don't know about his availability, but you might call my buddy Kevin. Go to www.kevinkilcher.com for his contact info.

Nice footage. For a reel, you might want to edit down to 1:00 or better yet :30. If someone knows what they are doing, they won't need to see a longer reel to be able to tell that you are good. I think most people in the business can tell good work in short order, and don't usually have time to watch a long reel of something unrelated to their current project or projects. If you can't get them in a minute, you won't get them in three either.

Think of it like a resume. A good resume is one page. Long resumes often don't even get a second look.

Nice footage. For a reel, you might want to edit down to 1:00 or better yet :30. If someone knows what they are doing, they won't need to see a longer reel to be able to tell that you are good. I think most people in the business can tell good work in short order, and don't usually have time to watch a long reel of something unrelated to their current project or projects. If you can't get them in a minute, you won't get them in three either.

Think of it like a resume. A good resume is one page. Long resumes often don't even get a second look.

Thanks.

I want to try to get it to a minute. I'm stuck in that I-want-to-show-everything mode. I think i will have my girl friend do a cut and see what she does. I also have footage from 2 more things I just shot this last week that have a different look so it just adds to the pile of stuff. This is harder than I thought. Also, watching other peoples shots, they hold on them longer is that better than trying to edit to faster music and getting more shots in?