Has anyone converted thier Arri S to super16?

Matt Bizer

• Premium Member
Has anyone here converted an Arri s/b to super 16? I was looking to get mine possibly modified.... any pointers or reasons I should not?

-Matt

Andy had his converted, it took a number of months or years, and much patience from Jorge down at CinemaTechnic to get it working right. Duall in New York converted one last year and has been trying to sell it on eBay ever since, with no luck. And a place in Australia advertises that they can convert the camera, or at least they used to.

I talked at length with Axel Broda about this (he is the guru of all things Arriflex here in the States, as he used to make the cameras back at ARRI in Germany in the 1960's). He basically explained to me how the camera design makes it a very bad candidate for Super 16 conversion. It is something I would definitely not recommend. But again, that is just my opinion as a tech who rebuilds those cameras on a regular basis. Others may disagree.

-Tim

Guest Ian Marks

Wouldn't the cost of conversion be MUCH more than the value of the camera, and wouldn't the resulting camera still sound like a dump truck with a bad differential?