FUJI 500T

Hi,

I shot this summer a short film with the Fuji 500T-8672 Film stock and i'm pretty surprised about the colors.

In fact i shot only street night scene and i correct my sources with 1/4 CTO by the eye and some of them with 1/4 CTB.

The thing is that on the dailies the skin tones look very magenta, too much while it's under CTO.

The story is about a crime in a street so there is shots with blood and this blood under 1/4 CTB look too flashy, do you know what i mean?

We tried to color correct everything on Avid Symphony but the magenta on the skin tones and the blood are still too much. We desaturated a lot and cut some red but still too much.

Can someone tell me what happen? Is it my color correction on the set that brings that issues or the make up?

Otherwise, i like the look pop and saturate of the Fuji stock.

It was the first time i was shooting in Fuji.

Best Regards

Were you trying to correct existing practical sources, such as street lights? If so what kind were they? If they weren't full spectrum units correcting them with gels can have an adverse effect. Though I'm not sure how you would get magenta.

I always have a problem with getting gaudy blue grain in under exposed areas on F-500 in scenes like this.

• Premium Member

Did you have a grey scale at the head of the roll under the light you wanted to be "white"? IF so, when they came back magenta, why didn't you have the transfer place re-do the transfers? White should be white afterall, and if not, they should explain to you why they didn't do it!

There's no reason to get back magenta dailies. I just shot a feature and used about 100,000' of Fuji F-500T -- some night exteriors -- and didn't have any magenta cast.

Fuji negative has a slightly different color and density to their color mask (that brick-orange color that negatives have), so if the telecine person doesn't neutralize the telecine based on the gray scale and runs it just like it was Kodak stock, the image will pick up a color cast. It's not a color in the image itself, per se. Although in your case, I don't know what's going on. If your gray scale had too much green light on it, then the following shots would be too magenta. That's about the only case where I can see getting a magenta cast to the image other than shooting under partial spectrum sodium lights. But even then, it would be possible to get dailies timed to not be magenta.