Canvas ditty bag

Thanks Patrick...

I didn't know this company existed. I find the bags a little large, and expensive, and I will never understand why AC bags have to be black or dark blue.... not great colors for sitting out in the sun. At least Cinebags makes gray ones, but then they are still so large.... And BTW I'm looking for CANVAS not nylon.

I'll probably stick with the Domke, I just wish it was larger.

I seem to recall I was going to get some series 9 retaining rings from you, at least

I think that was you? Do you still have those rings? If so, let me know when you'll be in SE as I around

my studio most days, esp in the mornings.

-Alain

Hey Alain,

I think you might have me mistaken on the Series 9's. I think the Domke might be your best bet- the only thing I have been able to find online are the standard canvas tool bags that you would find at any hardware store, which are obviously a much different bag than the Domke. Good luck in your search! For reference, there is a place on 23rd and Clinton if I recall called "Beckels Canvas" who might be able to custom make one, or modify your bag. I can't say for sure that they would do this, but I do know that they make canvas bags and tents and things like that. Might be worth checking out:

Beckel Canvas Products

(503) 232-3362

2232 SE Clinton St

Portland, OR

Edited by Patrick Lavalley

Hey Alain,

I think you might have me mistaken on the Series 9's. I think the Domke might be your best bet- the only thing I have been able to find online are the standard canvas tool bags that you would find at any hardware store, which are obviously a much different bag than the Domke. Good luck in your search! For reference, there is a place on 23rd and Clinton if I recall called "Beckels Canvas" who might be able to custom make one, or modify your bag. I can't say for sure that they would do this, but I do know that they make canvas bags and tents and things like that. Might be worth checking out:

Beckel Canvas Products

(503) 232-3362

2232 SE Clinton St

Portland, OR

Yes, I have one of those "riggers bags" for my tools. They are great for hauling tools, but I'd like a bag that has a lid and a bit of padding for some protection. Beckel makes nice bags, I have a number of small canvas bags from them that I use for lighting clamps and such. Good suggestion about having them make one, however it seems that it would likely cost more than a Domke.

-Alain

Yeah, I'm sure they would charge a premium for a custom made bag. Those best boy bags look really nice, but it also looks as though they're made of Nylon? Just out of curiosity, why are you going with canvas?

Because canvas is king?

I like the idea of buying a cotton canvas bag over nylon (even if cotton is one of the more heavily sprayed crops), and I find the material holds up

rather well. I have a riggers bag for tools (tons of pockets) which cost me I think $20, and a large LL Bean tote for all my rawstock, film cans, black

bags, extra camera cores, changing bag, and mag barney, and the white color is good for reflecting light/heat.

I've been using a nylon Lowe Pro bag that someone gave me, and while it works ok if I'm working out of a car I hate moving around with the thing. Not

very well designed if you ask me. I used to own a Domke F2 and always loved that bag, so I was wondering if anyone knew of bags similar to this. I think

I'll end up getting an F1X to suit my needs.

-Alain

• 1 year later...
I have a riggers bag for tools (tons of pockets) which cost me I think $20

Is this a non-nyon bag? If so would please let me know which bag or where you got it. I've never been able to find a good bag for carrying misc grip stuff like clamps. I'm allergic to nylon and hate having to awkwardly carry a bag to avoid large bags from rubbing against my arms or legs when carrying them. I have a rolling, nylon tool bag from a local store, but the pockets don't work well.

I love the Harrison Tote; it's got some padding, a divider compartment inside a big zippered top, long handles and side loops where you can connect it to the handles of your camera cart.

I have no idea if it is cotton or whether it would suit your needs but it's quality and well-built. Here's the contact info:

Patti Harrison

Camera Essentials

Tel:(323) 666-8936

Fax: (323) 666-0214

patt0214@sbcglobal.net

http://www.cameraessentials.com/

Good luck!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Can anyone recommend a canvas ditty bag that is similar in style to the Domke F-1X, but slightly

larger? I like the domke's top flap/lid and pocket design, but think the bag is a little small for my needs.

-Alain

What about the one of the portabrace production bags? http://www.portabrace.com/category_56

Their cargo and run bags are sweet too, I have a CAR-3 and love it. Not to mention these bags are made in my home state!