Cinematography Quiz

Zamir Merali

• Premium Member
I'd beg to disagree; I'd use a spot meter so I'd know where I'm pegging the blacks and whites. A reflective meter doesn't "make" blacks grayish or whites darkish; your exposure decisions based on meter readings are what determine that. You can use either meter so long as you know what you're doing. So...there's no correct answer really.

I agree - Only somebody who didn't know what they were doing would have a problem using any meter on a shot like that

• Premium Member
# 4 - A spot meter IS a reflective meter. Either answer could be correct.

-Sam

But the correct answer was an incident meter. A reflective meter would make the black grayish and the white darkish.

Hi,

Only if you don't know how to interpret the reading you get.

Stephen

That's a fun quiz! There are a couple trick questions too...but managed to get 66 of 73.

Question 73: Which of the following positions are not below the line?

a) Director of Photography

b ) Script Supervisor

c) Line Producer

d) don't know

I thought the DP is usually above the line? It was my belief that (on a larger production) they usually are paid a set fee as opposed to the crew who are paid hourly.

Edited by Kar Wai Ng

• Premium Member

68/73.

Tricked again with an incident meter question! (Go for the really, really obvious answer). Again, whether or not you get these questions right has more to do with the quiz maker's assumptions than what your own knowledge may be. The "don't know" mulitple choice option didn't make much sense -- if you pick that, then you automatically get the question wrong (or do you?). A "none of the above" option would have been better.

The 5274/7274 question is a cheat -- the textbook answer is different from the real world practical answer. This quiz maker is looking for the practical answer. Same with the "who's responsible for the shot being in-focus" question.

• Premium Member

68/75. That was fun too, but there are too many questions I could rationalize a couple different ways. I said, for example that the operator is responsible for getting in-focus shots because he's the only guy on set who can really tell fine focus, even though the DP is ultimately responsible for all aspects of the footage.

Both a spot meter and an incident meter could be used in this case. I would argue that a spot meter is the more correct answer because it provides more detailed information about the light in the scene. When dealing with extremes like white and black and trying to find exposure it always depends on the look that is trying to be achieved and what's more to achieve any kind of control over your look you should know exactly what the lighting ratios/levels are; if the choice has to be between an incident or spot meter then a spot meter would be better suited for the task. I believe my dear friend Ansel (who dealt extensively with just these kinds of details) would agree... ;)