HD or HDV

prathap shankar

hi all,

recently i got a project for a short film......but the producer is insisting on using HD camera.......since the budget is low i suggested we cud use HDV.....but he says he is gonna screen in 35mm in theatres......so he is insisting on HD camera.....can u plz guide me as to how the quality wud differ between those 2 if screened in 35mm..........or is it possible to shoot in HDV and get the quality of HD camera....................

hi all,

recently i got a project for a short film......but the producer is insisting on using HD camera.......since the budget is low i suggested we cud use HDV.....but he says he is gonna screen in 35mm in theatres......so he is insisting on HD camera.....can u plz guide me as to how the quality wud differ between those 2 if screened in 35mm..........or is it possible to shoot in HDV and get the quality of HD camera....................

HD encompasses quite a few formats, so your going to have to narrow it down. Has your producer done anything in HD before?

I'm guessing HDCAM is out of the question. If I were you I'd go with DVCPRO HD rather than HDV.

Guest Trevor Swaim

I would like to point out that this is a professional forum, and asking questions in "leet", ie, cud u plz. is just plain rude. also it makes it very hard for our many non native english speakers to understand.

also please add your real name to your signature or change your screen name.

Edited by Trevor Swaim

I would like to point out that this is a professional forum, and asking questions in "leet", ie, cud u plz. is just plain rude. also it makes it very hard for our many non native english speakers to understand.

also please add your real name to your signature or change your screen name.

Tell me what was so rude about his question...

hi all,

I am assuming you are renting and since lower end 35mm prints from a digital source cost anywhere from $500 to $1000 per minute, it would make sense to put more of your money up front to get the best looking source material that you can, so your print doesn't look like mud. Is it a done deal that you will be going to print? If so, spending the tens of thousand of dollars on a blow up, might be better spent shooting 35 in the first place. Do the budget for several scenarios and see what works best for you. I have never seen any HDV blown up to 35. I have watched some stuff on a NTSC monitor shot on one of those JVC things and it looked quite good. But, the Panasonic HDX900 is a very reasonable rental, has larger chips, less compression, better color subsampling and better lenses are available for it.

chris

Guest Trevor Swaim
Tell me what was so rude about his question...

um... did you even read my post?

the question was not rude. the Faux english know as "leet" in example "cud u plz" instead of could you please is rude to our professional hosts and mentors. Cant really make it any more plain than that. It is lazyness and or an atempt to be "cute" it has absoulty no place in a professional environment in the same way as street slang doesn't belong in an important buisness meeting.

also it has been pointed out many, many, many times that if you wish to get answers on this board then you should do us the courtesy of providing your name.

An HDV format will work perfectly fine for your needs. I just did some filmout tests of my HD200 and the results were better than great.

sorry for the inconvinience made.....my real name is prathap.....i am an amateaur trying to learn from pro's like you...im really sorry if my approach is not proper....i deeply regret for it.thank you people for the suggestions you gave me.....i think i will be able to finalise my desicions in a day or 2...

the question was not rude. the Faux english know as "leet" in example "cud u plz" instead of could you please is rude to our professional hosts and mentors. Cant really make it any more plain than that. It is lazyness and or an atempt to be "cute" it has absoulty no place in a professional environment in the same way as street slang doesn't belong in an important buisness meeting.

also it has been pointed out many, many, many times that if you wish to get answers on this board then you should do us the courtesy of providing your name.

Glass houses and stones come to mind. I'm not keen on "cud u plz" myself - but a complaint about this that has four spelling mistakes or typos in one sentence, and capital letters and apostrophes apparently used at random, seems a trifle misplaced.

also it makes it very hard for our many non native english speakers to understand.

As for sensitivity towards non-English speakers on this list, perhaps recognition that the original poster was in all probability using his real name would make that ring a little more true as well. Or isn't it a real name if it's not an English name?