Stablizing the Super 8 gate

xoct

I read somewhere that someone created a little gadget that gets inserted into a roll of super 8 film which helps to keep the film registration stable, but I can't remember who was selling it. I seem to think it was someone in Germany and I also seem to remember this device cost about $100 and you have to be very careful to remember to remove it from the film roll before accidentally sending it to the lab with the film. Anyone know what I'm talking about and has anyone seen the results? I'm going to be shooting at 80fps and need to ensure the stability of the film as it rushes through the gate. Thanks!

Friend, I own one and can't tell you yet how well it works or not. I've shot with it but have not done any comparision stuff yet. I'm going to at some point see if the added thickness of the plate messes with the distance between the lense and the film. Meaning I will film with it and without it and with out it and see if there are any focus issues, Then check the frame line while projecting between the two to see any difference there. In theory it seems every serious super 8 filmaker should own one.

• 2 weeks later...

I really don't think this is a problem, if you have a quality camera.

I've never had registration problems at all, so I think this product is really not needed.

If you have a crappy camera, get a good one.

Besides, how long do you think you're going to go until you forget you have that thing in there, send it in with your film, and it getts tossed into the trash because the lab tech has no idea what it is?

Matt Pacini

Sure, sure...but if you haven't seen it, how do you know? And when it comes to shooting 70 to 80fps, maybe it would be nice to have extra stablization. Dunno, you know. Just trying to learn more and don't want to pass judgement until I've seen it or heard someone else talk about the effectiveness of the tool.

I agree with Matt. If we don't need this why pay $145 like I did. The ads say the Ektachrome is more likely needfull for this due to thickness of the film? Kodachrome generally doesn't need it. Ok fine but I need to find out with Kodachrome anyways due to the necessity of stability with such a small frame. Too many times I see everyone from Super8 sound to 35mm movies dumb down the guage. I myself want to see how far we can go, to the limit so to speak. This tool will help evaluate a possible need. If not then let's not waste our money. I'm waiting for my R-10 to arrive and then will experiment with it and the Elmo 1012XLS. Should be this or next week and then processed soon. Results in October sometime.

Friend, I own one and can't tell you yet how well it works or not. I've shot with it but have not done any comparision stuff yet. I'm going to at some point see if the added thickness of the plate messes with the distance between the lense and the film. Meaning I will film with it and without it and with out it and see if there are any focus issues, Then check the frame line while projecting between the two to see any difference there. In theory it seems every serious super 8 filmaker should own one.

I dont see how it can alter the depth of focus. I mean the film is up against the gate with pressure from the plate inbuilt into the cartridge anyway, all the metal pressure plate does is push harder.

I have to admit as to being sceptical about this product.

As for the thickness of the different emulsions, Ektachrome is thicker than K40 which is in turn thicker than the B/W emulsions. The Negative stocks are thicker than Ektachrome.

Therefore I dn't see why it should be particularly suited to Ektachrome.

I Have to say that I have experieneced, on occasion, stability problems with super8, but it has only ever been a few occasions.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so relieved someone is trying this tool out. Thanks! You know, I was just watching Richard Linklater's first film which Criterion Collection included on the DVD of "Slacker", a film he shot on Super 8, and the image was unstable enough that it was distracting. I think getting a perfectly stable image is very import and and worth experimenting with.

Don't know about posting pics here yet, but here's a link to a forum with one of my pressure plate stills.. hope it works.

http://www.8mm.filmshooting.com/scripts/ga...tII_0001?full=1

Say, I looked at the still you posted as well as several other, and lo and behold, it looks like you are also in Portland! Could I trouble you to look at the stabilized film in person, as well as anything else you'd be willing to share???? Let me know! Thanks!