Power Cable

Chris_Burket

I am making some of my own power cables and batteries to use with my Arri 2c and Konvas 2m. I was wondering if anybody knows what kind of cable is best to use. Or what kind most rental houses/manufactures use?

I found some good cable at Ace Hardware, but it quite thick, thicker than the cables I've seen go out with LT's, etc....

The cables I made for the Konvas were just ordinary powercables, but as I wanted to have a flexible springlike cable I just took a prolungation from a householdcable, cut off the plugs and soldered a male and a female XLR 4pin plug on it.

I adapted it to XLR 4pin, because this way I could use NP1 batteries (with an adapter) and it is compatible to the aatonLTR7 as well as to Tobin motors which I use on my Bolex and to the power adapter of my videocamera.

On the Konvas motor I left the original plug (a buildin XLR4pin is to big to be mounted into the motor), and made with a short cable an adapter to 4pin XLR, this way I could use the good spiralcable with all of my cameras.

I hope this could be usefull, and you understand my english

Daniel

• Premium Member

I've used 16 gauge and 14 gauge 2 conductor cable from Home Depot and Lowes to make battery cables with very good results. The most important thing is the cable ends (Neutrik makes the best XLR connectors and they are inexpensive, unfortunately there aren't many options for Fi$cher connectors) and the soldering thereof.

I use 16 gauge for the standard length cables, and step up to the 14 gauge for the long cables.

• Premium Member
.... and made with a short cable an adapter to 4pin XLR, ....

With that kind of wire adapter, be sure to make a spare. They get a lot of wear, and if the adapter breaks, you're stuck if you don't have another.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

You can use zip cord and 2 prong wall plugs. They're cheap. However, 4 prong XLR is the most common type rigging for power. Looks better than table lamp rigging and you don't have to worry about monkey-crew plugging your DC motor into a wall outlet. OOOOPS!