Just to clarify - Z1U & Z1P

Jacqueline Donaldson

Hi there,

What is the difference? - I've used the Z1P several times and thought that the Z1P was PAL and the Z1U was NTSC, but upon looking on the net I see that they both record both PAL and NTSC. SO what is the difference between these cameras? As far as I can see they look/perfom the same.

If you had the choice would it be Z1P, Z1U, FX7 or HVX-200. I think I'll go for the HVX-200, but I'm buying for a school film programme so I'd like some opinions.

Thanks

Jacqueline

Nah, I believe they have some HDV cameras already and as our company are running the programme, we can use the equipment for our own projects when it is available - so we def want to keep with the HDV. I think they have Z1U's that's why the question - they gave me a budget to buy more equipment-so I need to know if the Z1U's are like the Z1P's, if the quality of the Z1U's are not as good as Z1P's then I will consider buying the HVX. But if they are like the Z1P's which I quite like then I will spend the money on Portable lighting kits and some grip equipment like dolly etc...

Thanks, jac

• 4 months later...

Thanks David,

I just shot with the V1U, and relised that I guess all the Sony's are very similar in their operating systems, look and functions etc...

I'm having a bit of a hard time now - I am a big fan of the HVX-200, but the director of the company that has the money isn't convinced - i think we're silly to consider buying a sony HDV - probably the Z1P as opposed to DVCPro HD that the Panasonic offers. I have experience with both, and I feel better informed than my counterparts, but not enough to be an expert on the subject.

We have US10,000 to spend.

What's your view?

I've also considered the JVC GY-HD100, it's a bit out of our budget - but it looks sexy which helps sell our film programmes.

Jacqueline