Zeiss Zoom 10-100mm T3 Vignette problems

Eugene Sung

I have a Zeiss Zoom 10-100mm T3 (the older one with the 75mm top) mounted to an Eclair ACL regular 16mm.

The lens has a lot of vignetting, even WITHOUT any accesorries (matte box, sunshade, circular filter, etc..), the vignetting cuts into the 4/3 TV Safe marks

I'm not sure if we're just imagining things, but before I had it colimated, my friend and I didn't notice the vignetting. It was professionally colimated by Optical Electro, so I know the colimation was done right.

Also, the lens tends to breath as the vignetting happens mainly in the 25 to 50mm range and not at the widest (10mm). Does this mean there is something wrong with the lens??

Can vignetting be caused by colimation?

Also, does this particular Zeiss lens have a tendency to Vignette?

Does anyone have any solutions?

Thanks in advance

• Premium Member
I have a Zeiss Zoom 10-100mm T3 (the older one with the 75mm top) mounted to an Eclair ACL regular 16mm.

The lens has a lot of vignetting, even WITHOUT any accesorries (matte box, sunshade, circular filter, etc..), the vignetting cuts into the 4/3 TV Safe marks

I'm not sure if we're just imagining things, but before I had it colimated, my friend and I didn't notice the vignetting. It was professionally colimated by Optical Electro, so I know the colimation was done right.

Also, the lens tends to breath as the vignetting happens mainly in the 25 to 50mm range and not at the widest (10mm). Does this mean there is something wrong with the lens??

Thanks in advance

Hi,

Does it get better or worse when you stop down? I remember some issues with that lens it was worse in the middle & changed as you pulled focus.

Stephen

• Premium Member

Thanks in advance

What you see thru the viewfinder does not necessarily mean it will be that way on film. I have an ACL also (S16). With some lenses it appears to vignette next to the edges, but when I check the film, all is fine.

I would suggest you shoot some film and have it transferred and check it out. :rolleyes:

Hi,

Does it get better or worse when you stop down? I remember some issues with that lens it was worse in the middle & changed as you pulled focus.

Stephen

It does get worse when I stop down, especially at T22 the vignette is very pronounced. As yes, it does Vignette the worse from 16 to 24mm. At the widest (10mm), it's not too bad.

Also, it's mounted onto the ACL using a Arri-S adapter. Does this make a difference? It's a very nice adapter made by Optical Electro and they're definitely pro, so I'm not sure what's going on

We did a film test, but unfortunately it's Memorial Day weekend, so I have to hold my breath an extra day.

Thanks for the responses!