New Rules in New York on Permits and Tripods

Robert Edge

It's such a pile of hogwash!

Do the news media need permits? No, they never have.

I've shot in NY on many occasions, I never get permits, and I set up a tripod. The cops just walk right past you, and I was shooting there post 9/11 as well.

To all governments out there trying to stop film people from making films, a big hearty up yours!

We'll set up and be gone before you even know what happened :D

R,

• Premium Member

Sorry, I didn't mean to cause a political debate.

I just thought that the relaxation of the rules in New York might be of interest to people who are planning to film there, and might also be of interest to people in other cities that have similar rules.

I guess that I thought that it might also be interesting to see how these new rules affect photography in quasi-public spaces, such as the Union Square Market, which I know has insisted, at least formally, on a permit and insurance if one plans to use a motion picture camera or if one wants to use a still camera with a tripod. As the NY Greenmarket office once told me, they are used to the major networks filming in their spaces, and their rules are constructed accordingly.

Anyway, I do apologize if this thread is considered a waste of bandwidth.

Cheers.

• Premium Member
Rules? That's one of the few benefits of producing here in BFE Mississippi. The only rule here seems to be, "Try not to get anyone killed."

It's about the same here in Philadelphia. And the other big thing is that seeing a film camera is so alien 'round here that everyone wants to help out somewhere. I have never been on a no-budget production out here in want for a location. We can even swing free food here and again. Viva cheesesteaks

• Premium Member
Rules? That's one of the few benefits of producing here in BFE Mississippi. The only rule here seems to be, "Try not to get anyone killed."

Paul,

Thanks for the good laugh.

-Tim