Lighting Outdoors

Well, its shooting time again.

EXT. TRAIN YARD. - DAY.

Heres the problem, I'm a great DP in INT situations. I know how to control light, use it, and make my audience feel it, but the second I step outdoors I'm completely lost. I know what a butterfly is, I know when to use a butterfly, but I don't know how to use it. I know what a reflector is, how to use them, but my problem is when to use them. Same thing with the larger board reflectors on stands. The second I step outside and try to shoot something, everything I shoot has no contrast at all. I can't seem to take my experience and skill from indoors to outside. I'm shooting video on a DSR-250 which (in my opinion) has pretty good contrast. I want to shoot on film, but the only thing I can even begin to afford is to buy a cheep 8mm off of eBay and shoot stock from Pro8mm.com.

Help please?

-LDS

If it's high contrast you're going for, just don't diffuse any of the sunlight and get some duvetyne underneath your actors to cut down any bounced lighting.

You'll only need reflectors & bounce cards if you're trying to lower contrast, or bump up your key a bit.