White shading for XDcam(530P) w/ Pro35?

Erik Andersson

My first post here at Cinematography.com!

I´m trying to learn how to make my own lens files for the Sony 530P(it´s easy to complain about rental houses not setting up the cameras correctly but when you´re standing there, on set, with a weird looking picture due to a non existing Lens file it´s better to have some knowledge of how to fix it than to just complain) but I´m finding it extremely complicated compared to, for example, the Varicam. Can anyone explain what the differen parameters in the "white shading" menu page affect?

I´ve also noticed that the slight colour shift (magenta on top, green at the bottom) is consederably less with the 530P compared to Sonys HD cameras(the 750 and the 900). Anyone who knows why?

You really need a three-channel waveform monitor a a pure white field such as an integration sphere to do it properly. The Varicam is easy because it only does it in an automatic mode. Most other cameras do phase and parabola shifting within each of the three color channels and on a horizontal v. vertical basis. it is not a procedure to take lightly and it really should be done on checkout, not in the field.

After playing around a little with the camera, an SDI-monitor, a vectroscope, and a extremely evenly lit piece of paper yesterday I soon figured out how to adjust it somewhat and what the different settings actually do. So no more need to explain them to me. Thanks!

You really need a three-channel waveform monitor a a pure white field such as an integration sphere to do it properly. The Varicam is easy because it only does it in an automatic mode. Most other cameras do phase and parabola shifting within each of the three color channels and on a horizontal v. vertical basis. it is not a procedure to take lightly and it really should be done on checkout, not in the field.

Yes, I understand the importance of the procedure being done correctly but there´s nothing wrong with beeing able to do it in the field in a worst case scenario(for example if you are filming in antarctica and get the camera shipped to you so you haven´t had a chance to go through it before the start of the shoot), or is it?

• 11 months later...

I did spend a lot of time on the pro35 settings on a xd cam with a techi. The matrix settings are the same for every xdcam. The black levels and whiteclip levels can be different for every camera, even for every lens, but those are marginal.

If you want i can post my settings, let me know.