Cooking Video

Sam Lebo

I'm filming a cooking show this summer and wanted to know whats the best SD camera to use. I'm renting 2 cams and having one DP and an audio guy help me make this production.

In the end, i want my product to look like something from the Food Network and i dont know what some of the details should be. here is what im guessing so far (that i should use):

DVX -100A

24p frame rate

4:3

i WAS thinking of doing it as 30i, 16:9...but i dont know if it would be a better quality production.

what do you think?

Is this for broadcast.

Cooking shows aren't recorded at progressive frame rates (at least not in the UK) so I wouldn't worry too much about hiring a proggressive camcorder if you are trying to mimick the established conventions of the food network. If it must be 16:9 and you don't mind interlaced scans then you might consider the sony DSR 570 WS, the non-proggressive predecessor to the DSR 450 WS. It has time code facilities for multi camera shoots. If budget is of greater concern and your OK shooting 4:3 something like the DSR 250 would do - it has 1/3" CCDs as opposed to the 570's 2/3" CCDs so its kind of a trade of, less money but greater depth of field (considering the nature of the program though that shouldn't really be a problem.)

So in short:

- DSR 570 (16:9, shallower DOF, time code)

- DSR 250 (4:3, greater DOF, less money)

or you could stick with the DVX and shoot 60i if you are editing in an NLE.

• Premium Member

I would consider the Panasonic SDX900. It has 2/3' chips which will give you more controllable depth of field, and it's resolution and latitude are superior to the DVX100.

I might consider shooting it 30p - 4:3....depending one what your final output is.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Sam,

I've done several cooking shows in the past and here's what I would suggest. You wrote that you want your product to look like something from the Food Network - is that where you're hoping to have it picked up or will it be shown by a different broadcaster or cablecast?

If the show's been purchased use a better camera, if it hasn't sick with the DVX. The DVX is a fine camera and you'll have money to put into the set and lighting - a very important Food Network consideration. I wouldn't worry too much about the shooting 16:9 or 24P. Last I heard, 16:9 is not not a big consideration for Food Network and most of their shows are 60i shows. If you're looking to shoot something more stylized then go with 24P but you may not have to shoot 16:9. You'll quickly find that the 4:3 frame is more conducive to cooking shows. If you are interested in a more stylized show, you might want to look at Kylie Kwong: heart and soul (Discovery Home). IMHO, it's one of the best looking cooking shows out there. Her earlier shows, I think, are better looking then the later shows or the ones she shoots in China and Hong Kong.

Good luck with your show! Give us an update.

I agree with most the sentiment here. Check the rentals on SDX900s, they have gotten pretty reasonable with the recent price drops. If it is a to the camera show, ditch the 24P. You can do 30P but be aware that it will limit you in PAL territories as 30P to PAL looks TERRIBLE. If you are stuck in DVX world, I have found the 100B to be better than the A in regards to noise and color rendition, try to snag a couple of those.

ash =o)