external monitor working in 720pn mode

Iga Mikler

I have cupple questions that I am hoping someone could answer.

I am preparing for a shoot that starts next week- I will be using the panasonic Hvx 200 with the P+S adapter and the 35mm lenses. As I will have some of hand held shots I am trying to configure the camera, so that I can have the body of the camera on my shoulder instead of on a unstable shoulder mount that would imply that the hole camera set up would be very front heavy. But by having the body on my shoulder I will not have access to the viewfinder or LCD screen, so I am thinking of getting an additional external Monitor for this purpose.

So i would like to use the smallest possible monitor, around 4 inch, so it doesnt add to the weight, but also I am wondering if this monitor have to be a HD monitor? I want to use a bigger HD monitor for the director, but also for my own purpose to check color and resolution and contrast. So my question is- can i output both a ntsc signal to my little oncamera monitor (if I choose to go with the cheeper option- a regular ntsc monitor and not hd) and get the same image size (unstretched and uncropped) AND output to the HD monitor and have a HD signal to the big monitor simultaneously?

Also i am wondering if i use this little monitor, is there a way to attach it to the camera so I can see the image having the camera on my shoulder.

If you could help me answer these questions or know who I should contact to obtain this information, That would be VERY helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Paul Wizikowski

Yes, I believe you can use both outputs at the same time. For the onboard NTSC monitor use the composite RCA output. Attach it with an Israeli arm to the top of the camera handle. (You may have to use a hot shoe adapter to mount the Israeli arm) Then use the HD/component cable to your big screen. That will force you to be tethered during the shot or you can just hook it up for playback after the fact. If your doing handheld with that rig I recommend something like the rail system from Zacuto out of Chicago.

http://www.zacuto.com/

Its great and can really help keep the rig more balanced.

I hope this isn't to late to help. However you probably have something figured out by now.

Edited by Paul Wizikowski

• 2 weeks later...

I recently shot a feature where we had to do similar shots with a Redrock M2 rig. We used the Marshall HD monitor attached to a cheapo monitor bracket I tie-wrapped to the front rods, then we balanced the front heaviness out by attaching a bundle of mathellinis and gobo heads to the back of the support plate. It was heavy (30+ pounds) but worked great! Pretty makeshift indie style though. As for wiring, the Marshall has component outputs so it was HD all the way, so I can't say about using both outputs at the same time.

I've attached a picture. It doesn't show me monitor bracket (that's a blind setup), but shows how we balanced the rig.

post-9384-1183165427_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps.

• Premium Member

You can't get HD and SD out at the same time. I just worked with the camera the other day and when the DP would plug in the HD out I would lose the image on my steadicam monitor (which is SD).

• 1 month later...
You can't get HD and SD out at the same time. I just worked with the camera the other day and when the DP would plug in the HD out I would lose the image on my steadicam monitor (which is SD).

That is true, if you use the HD component out, it take priority on the video out. You need another HD monitor to use two of them.