Arri Standard and Arri Bayonet mount lenses 16mm vs 35mm

I have been shooting 16mm using Bolex and Beaulieu cameras with c mount lenses. I have just purchased a Arriflex 35 2C with Arri Standard and Arri Bayonet mounts. So I have been looking around Ebay for some lenses to fit my new camera. I see some Arri Standard and Bayonet mount lenses labeled as being for the 16mm format, some for the 35mm format, some that cover both and some that don't specify. Can someone shed some light on this for me? Is there an online reference guide for these lenses? Are there really some lenses that will work for both 16mm and 35mm?

• Premium Member
I have been shooting 16mm using Bolex and Beaulieu cameras with c mount lenses. I have just purchased a Arriflex 35 2C with Arri Standard and Arri Bayonet mounts. So I have been looking around Ebay for some lenses to fit my new camera. I see some Arri Standard and Bayonet mount lenses labeled as being for the 16mm format, some for the 35mm format, some that cover both and some that don't specify. Can someone shed some light on this for me? Is there an online reference guide for these lenses? Are there really some lenses that will work for both 16mm and 35mm?

Hi,

Lenses designed to cover 35mm will cover 16mm & therefore work.

www.cookeoptics.com have some historical information on their site.

Stephen

Here's a quote from The camaraman's handbook(1974):

NOTE: 16mm and 35mm Arriflex lenses are interchangeable with the following exceptions: 5.7mm, 10mm, 16mm, and 25mm. These will not "cover" a 35mm aperture. The only wide-angle lenses that will "cover" a 35mm aperture are: 9.8mm, 14.5mm, 18.5mm retrofocus and the 28mm made for 35mm cameras.

• 1 year later...
Here's a quote from The camaraman's handbook(1974):

NOTE: 16mm and 35mm Arriflex lenses are interchangeable with the following exceptions: 5.7mm, 10mm, 16mm, and 25mm. These will not "cover" a 35mm aperture. The only wide-angle lenses that will "cover" a 35mm aperture are: 9.8mm, 14.5mm, 18.5mm retrofocus and the 28mm made for 35mm cameras.

Any idea about a Zeiss zoom lens (10-100mm) with ARRI Bayonet mount?

I read somewhere that standard 16mm lenses might cover 35mm aperture at focal lengths over 50mm....is there any way to calculate this?

I've got some lenses in the Standard Mount for sale that cover 35mm. One or two that only cover 16mm. But I also have a Arri Standard to C-mount adapter so you can use these lenses on your Arri and your Bolex!

I dont know what it's worth but if you have a reasonable offer I'd sell any or all of it to you.

Best

Allen

I've got some lenses in the Standard Mount for sale that cover 35mm. One or two that only cover 16mm. But I also have a Arri Standard to C-mount adapter so you can use these lenses on your Arri and your Bolex!

I dont know what it's worth but if you have a reasonable offer I'd sell any or all of it to you.

Best

Allen

Sounds interesting, which are the lenses?

Arri standard mount is the same for Arri 16mm and for example Arri 2B 35mm, right?

A lens designed for the 16mm format will usually have the rear element group closer to the film plane than a lens designed for 35mm. Even though the lens mount is the same, the rear of the lens might interfere with your camera's mirror shutter, potentially causing damage. It is safer to stick to lenses designed only for 35mm format.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

• Premium Member

Best

Allen

Any chance you've got a Cooke 100mm Deep Field Panchro in Arri Std?