Loading BL4

I'm working as a loader on a job using the ARRIFLEX BL4-- independent production, so im workign for free. I have loaded with this camera before, but am just wanting to know if anyone knows of any hickups or common problems that occur loading the BL4 Mags. Anything to look for whilst loading, anything that occasionally gets over looked, would be helpful.

The short notice of the job, means its impossible for me to make the camera prep session. As I say, I have loaded the system before, about 5 months ago, so I'm familiar with the system. I'm a little shaky on this one however as I will be loading on location, not in the dark room, and I just want to be aware of any of the system's faults or tricky spots.

Cheers guys,

M.

• Premium Member
I'm working as a loader on a job using the ARRIFLEX BL4-- independent production, so im workign for free. I have loaded with this camera before, but am just wanting to know if anyone knows of any hickups or common problems that occur loading the BL4 Mags. Anything to look for whilst loading, anything that occasionally gets over looked, would be helpful.

I've only done one job with the BL4, but the only thing that springs immediately to mind is not to try placing a full roll into the feed side before feeding the film thru the loop former, especially with 1000' rolls. Otherwise you'll have a hell of a time trying to get the film thru with your right hand while juggling the roll with your left.

On location, try to get a large changing tent and a large folding table to work on (maybe from craft services) and set up in a secluded spot near the set with your loading supplies.

I was told by a rental house tech that in order to properly set the loop size on a BL4 while loading it, one should actually pull the film two perfs beyond the index mark located on the magazine, otherwise your loop will actually be too small. Although this technique is not mentioned in either the Fauer book on the BL4 or the Carlson book, it seems to be correct as I've never had any problems with the camera with the extra two perf loop while I have had problems with the BL4 without the extra two perfs. Has anyone else heard of this?

• Premium Member
I was told by a rental house tech that in order to properly set the loop size on a BL4 while loading it, one should actually pull the film two perfs beyond the index mark located on the magazine, otherwise your loop will actually be too small. Although this technique is not mentioned in either the Fauer book on the BL4 or the Carlson book, it seems to be correct as I've never had any problems with the camera with the extra two perf loop while I have had problems with the BL4 without the extra two perfs. Has anyone else heard of this?

You beat me to it. I think you can load thing properly with the factory prescribed loop size but those 2 extra perfs make it more comfortable and quicker.

i agree with this also. I too was told this and have followed this rule when shooting with this camera. All worked well with this method!

Thanks guys. I actually did get to go to the camera prep today, and loaded a dummy load about 300ft. It was a lot simpler than I had remembered it. I do remember it being squishy with a full mag, so thanks for the heads up about feeding the film before dropping the core in. Two perfs sounds like a good little trick. Thanks again to all.

• 4 weeks later...

My day job is a service tech at a camera house :blink: so... everyone is right, giving it two additional perfs is doing good. But, i though i would also mention, it is not only for the BL-4 that the rule of "a bit over the mark" is good.

Arri suggests setting the loop on 35-3 and 435 a bit over the mark, not right on it as well. :wacko:

Also, when threading the camera, Arri suggest using the father border of the loop marks as guides, not the bottom ones, especially in Arricams and 435s

^_^ here ya go

good luck, guys

Edited by Daria