Arriflex II C 35mm -serial number

Anthony Tether

Would someone be kind enough to either reply with a link or breakdown the serial# history of the IIC? I just want to make sure I am fully informed before making a purchase?

At the same time, is anyone generous enough to run a background check for me if I give them some serials? That is of course, if you are a technician that works for one of those big outfits either in NY or LA or beyond.

Thanks guys/gals!

• Premium Member
Would someone be kind enough to either reply with a link or breakdown the serial# history of the IIC? I just want to make sure I am fully informed before making a purchase?

At the same time, is anyone generous enough to run a background check for me if I give them some serials? That is of course, if you are a technician that works for one of those big outfits either in NY or LA or beyond.

Thanks guys/gals!

The little bit I know about it is just the beginning.

Serial numbers under 500 were prototypes of the Model I, made in or before 1937.

Serial numbers in the 500 to 1999 range were production Model I, 1938 to July 13, 1944. The highest one in the range that I know of is # 1578.

Model II began in 1946 with serial number 2000.

-- J.S.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Premium Member
The little bit I know about it is just the beginning.

Serial numbers under 500 were prototypes of the Model I, made in or before 1937.

Serial numbers in the 500 to 1999 range were production Model I, 1938 to July 13, 1944. The highest one in the range that I know of is # 1578.

Model II began in 1946 with serial number 2000.

Currently on eBay

9df2_1.JPG

I wonder if the black crackle mag, turret, and motor housing are original?

eBay Arri I

• Premium Member
I have a 2C with HS gate with the serial # in the 14000s. Is this one of the last made?

John

Got a 2C sitting on my bench with a HS gate. Serial number in the 15700 range. I do think it was one of the last ones made. From talking with the folks at ARRI, the last ones sold in the US were in the 14000 range. The one sitting on my bench was sold originally in Europe.

Best,

-Tim

• 3 months later...

Thanks guys/gals!

I have one for sale perect shape. Anyone interested? Make em an offer. 2 motors lens, mag, cases, etc,.

Joey (818) 652-3048

post-34469-1215501078.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • Premium Member
Does this serial number look right to you? I saw this offered online but thought it had been altered.post-40828-1257466609.jpg

That is not an ARRI factory serial number. That has been altered. Someone machined off the original serial number and stamped that new one on there.

My sources say that the Arriflex 35 IIC cameras went up to the 15,000 serial numbers, but not beyond that. The highest serial number I ever saw on a IIC was in the 15,700 range, which was one of the last IIC cameras ARRI made. So 20073 is WAY out of the original serial number range.

Best,

-Tim

• 2 weeks later...

I found a great example of an ARRI 35 II on eBay. It has serial number 2005, so it would have been made in 1946 or 1947 (this should be the fifth camera made by ARRI post-war). The movement is the button type (changed in the ARRI IIA), and the chamber looks slightly different than that of the original ARRI 35 that I sold to John Sprung (#1578). There are some great photos of the camera.

The camera is on eBay item # 350274080201. Here's the listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/Arri-Arriflex-35mm-Len...=item518df64dc9

• Premium Member
Does this serial number look right to you? I saw this offered online but thought it had been altered.post-40828-1257466609.jpg

The camera looks authentic from what little I can see but your serial number has absolutely been altered.... sorry

• Premium Member
That is not an ARRI factory serial number. That has been altered.

Yup, definitely a sloppy end mill job. One possibility is that it's a stolen camera. The seller needs to give you a damn good story, or I'd pass on it.

-- J.S.