Good Book for Color Theory

James Mehr

Hey All,

There used to be a great "library" section for the site, but it seems to be down. There was a suggested book on color theory that I would like to get. Does anyone remember which one it was? Also, would anyone recommend other good books on color theory? Thanks.

For a basic approach, the color chapter in Bruce Block's "Visual Story" is one of the clearest and most interesting things I've read on color theory. He takes a few paragraphs to clear the air on inaccurate color theories that are taught in school, which I found helpful.

For a more studied approach, Josef Albers' "Interaction of Color" is excellent but dense. Albers was an artist himself who taught at the Bauhaus, and his study has an artistic foundation which is part of what makes it useful rather obscurely academic. Laszlo Moholy-Nagy's "Vision in Motion" also has an interesting section on color, but I remember it less vividly.

I've always meant to read Goethe's writings about color, but I haven't looked into it as much as I should.

I really recommend Josef Alber's Interaction of Color. I checked it from a local library. It was one of the best books I've ever read on color and ideas of color. It's not so much a practical book but rather an approach type of book when it comes to color.