Emmanuel Lubezki has been Robbed 2 years going...

Tom Lowe

lubezkibo4.jpg

In my humble opinion, Lubezki got robbed of his due Oscars two years in a row now. Does anyone who has seen The New World actually doubt that his natural-light photography was the best of the year?? Geisha? It was good, but I think Academy voters often get art direction mixed up with cinematography. Or special FX, etc.

After his ridiculous loss in 2005 for The New World, Lubezki was once again robbed (IMO) for his amazing work on Children of Men. Bottom line: Children of Men would not have worked as a movie were it not for Chivo's photography.

The only saving grace is that the ASC honored him for CoM. Thank you ASC!

Edited by Tom Lowe

• Premium Member

The Oscar voters for Cinematography are Cinematographers themselves, so I don't think they got confused over what good cinematography was vs. art direction...

He's a genius; it's true. But what's the mark of success? Us talking about him, admiring his work, being inspired by it? Or a golden statuette?

• Premium Member
Lubezki got robbed of his due Oscars two years in a row now.

If I had his body of work behind me I wouldn't be worrying about why I didn't win the Oscar. He works regularly on top level projects, I suspect that's more than enough reward for him.

At ASC?

Yeah. He gave a short speech when he was given the award and then brought his operator on stage for the rest. This was right after the issues with union operators had come up so it was a great statement and an acknowledgment of the importance of the operator.

The Oscar voters for Cinematography are Cinematographers themselves, so I don't think they got confused over what good cinematography was vs. art direction...

He's a genius; it's true. But what's the mark of success? Us talking about him, admiring his work, being inspired by it? Or a golden statuette?

For some reason I thought the nominees are chosen by their peers (in this case cinematographers), and then the final Oscar vote goes out to the entire Academy membership?

BTW, I didn't mean to overstate my opinion too much about him being "robbed"... after all, it's only one person's opinion.

• 1 month later...

I only recently "discovered" Lubezki (well i only recently got into cinematography, and it didn't take me long to figure he was one of the best). loved his work in both The New World and Children of Men, which is breathtaking at times. So i was surfing around and came across this little commercial for GE on which he aparently did the cinematography. It's on youtube... Many of you probably already seen it while checking up on Chivo yourself, but if you havn't, check it out!

96% of all the shots i would pause, print out and hang on my wall, it's... wow. Granted he lucked out with the beautiful surroundings :D but damn.

Commercial

Wonder where this is shot?

Edited by Jacob Moeller

lubezkibo4.jpg

In my humble opinion, Lubezki got robbed of his due Oscars two years in a row now. Does anyone who has seen The New World actually doubt that his natural-light photography was the best of the year?? Geisha? It was good, but I think Academy voters often get art direction mixed up with cinematography. Or special FX, etc.

After his ridiculous loss in 2005 for The New World, Lubezki was once again robbed (IMO) for his amazing work on Children of Men. Bottom line: Children of Men would not have worked as a movie were it not for Chivo's photography.

The only saving grace is that the ASC honored him for CoM. Thank you ASC!

After having watched "the making of The New World" I feel that he was robbed of an oscar. I stand corrected. He should have won for best achievement in direction.