'...Then You Die' HD35

About a month ago I shot a short film about an insurance agent who wants to kill himself to get sister money for college but everytime he tries he comes up short.

We shot on an HVX-200 with a P+S Technik 35mm adapter. We had Zeiss T1.3 lenses from 18-85mm.

I found it to be a real pain when shooting scenes that were a bit darker but overall it gave me just the look I was going for.

Our lighting package consisted of Kino 4-banks, a few 4K & 2.5K HMI's, 2K's, 1K Open-faced Moles, numerous smaller Arri lights, and two chimera lightbanks.

We won;t be done editing it for a while now but here are some grabs from our footy.

Let me know what y'all think! Critiques welcomed. I'm still learning so any professional tips would be much appreciated!

post-19003-1184573197_thumb.jpg

post-19003-1184573207_thumb.jpg

post-19003-1184573213_thumb.jpg

post-19003-1184573221_thumb.jpg

post-19003-1184573229_thumb.jpg

post-19003-1184573236_thumb.jpg

It looks great. I think that you created some really nice contrast and subtle tones, which are hard to get with that camera.

Did you keep flat settings on the camera and put the contrast in post to some degree, or did you try to get it in camera?

Again, good work.

We shot on an HVX-200 with a P+S Technik 35mm adapter. We had Zeiss T1.3 lenses from 18-85mm.

Hey man it looks great. I like your footage, but for me your color correction looks a little "nice" anyway great job. BTW what was your ASA?

There has actually been no color correction done to these captures. This is just the raw. I'll post the color corrected stuff soon.

The ASA was around 200 so having those super speed lenses made it really nice to work with. I'd highly recommend getting those lenses when working with an HVX and a 35mm adapter.

Oh and Andre, classroom scene was shot at a college in La Mirada. The only problem I had with it was that the walls were green which made everything come out kind of sickly and pale.

Anyone got any ideas on how to fix that greenish sickly feel that walls provide?

• Premium Member
Anyone got any ideas on how to fix that greenish sickly feel that walls provide?

What do you mean "fix?" It looks great!

With the HVX there really isn't much you can do to fine-tune the color response in camera. The best you could do would be to use a slight magenta filter and then white balance it out, hoping to cancel some of the green saturation. Or in post you could try to isolate the hue that bothers you the most and desaturate it some, but really from these frame grabs I wouldn't bother. Some overall post color correction can warm up skin tones a little if they're still looking to pale for you.