Film Schools Outside the US?

Hello fellow filmmakers,

I was wondering if anyone out there could give me some advice about film schools outside the US. I am about to begin my Jr. year in Montana State University's film department. While I am happy here, I am very much interested in doing a semester to a year abroad while I'm still in school and can have student loans pay for travel expenses. The only problem is finding a school that?s the right fit. Most schools I find offer only film studies and film theory. And there is nothing wrong with theory, but I need to be behind a camera or I will go crazy. So, my question is, where in the world can I shoot something on film?

~ AP Hartman

Not sure what the school was called but it was in Australia, two Oscar winning cinematographers have gone there (and hopefully i will someday too). Like i said, can't remember the name, but if you look up on stuff about Andrew (he has my name =D ) leslie i think he was called (the guy who shot King Kong and LOTR), you'll find the school. Another guy who went to the same school as him also won an Oscar for "Memoirs of a Geisha" (beautiful movie imo, wonderful cinematography), so if you find which school he went to, leslie went to the same one.

Peace

Hello fellow filmmakers,

I was wondering if anyone out there could give me some advice about film schools outside the US. I am about to begin my Jr. year in Montana State University's film department. While I am happy here, I am very much interested in doing a semester to a year abroad while I'm still in school and can have student loans pay for travel expenses. The only problem is finding a school that?s the right fit. Most schools I find offer only film studies and film theory. And there is nothing wrong with theory, but I need to be behind a camera or I will go crazy. So, my question is, where in the world can I shoot something on film?

~ AP Hartman

If you like europe; international filmschool, london (I think Roger Pratts school) - polish filmschool at lodz (Dariusz Kaminskis school) - centro sperimentale di cinematografia, rome (Vittorio Storaro)...and the Filmschool Ludwigshafen in Germany has a good reputation.

OLI

• Premium Member

Youre talking about AFTRS or the Australian Film Television And Radio School. I'm a currently enrolled MA student in Cinematography. Yes, Andrew Lesnie and Dion Beebe are alumni. They take 4 MA cinematography students per year. Yes we shoot lot's and lot's of film (and electronic).

The main problem is that it is a federally funded program. It's essentially costs nothing to attend if you're selected. But, you have to be an Australian citizen, or have permanent residency in Australia. They are about to change the program and open it up to paid attendees which will be a great shame.

www.aftrs.edu.au

Edited by John Brawley

Youre talking about AFTRS or the Australian Film Television And Radio School. I'm a currently enrolled MA student in Cinematography. Yes, Andrew Lesnie and Dion Beebe are alumni. They take 4 MA cinematography students per year. Yes we shoot lot's and lot's of film (and electronic).

The main problem is that it is a federally funded program. It's essentially costs nothing to attend if you're selected. But, you have to be an Australian citizen, or have permanent residency in Australia. They are about to change the program and open it up to paid attendees which will be a great shame.

www.aftrs.edu.au

you have to be an Australian citizen... ok... well... thats my lifes dream down the drain... why would it be a shame to open up for paid attendees. If they have 90% Australian students and just a few select very inspired/talented/hardworking foreigers i don't see how that would hurt the school?

a btw, could i ask you (or e-mail with you if you would prefer that), how you got to where you are? I would like to be in a similar position in about three years time.

• Premium Member

you have to be an Australian citizen... ok... well... thats my lifes dream down the drain... why would it be a shame to open up for paid attendees. If they have 90% Australian students and just a few select very inspired/talented/hardworking foreigners i don't see how that would hurt the school?

It would be a shame because right now the only way you can attend the school is based on merit. they select the best four candidates that apply in a given year based on their showreel and performance at an interview. IN the year I applied, I was told over 600 applied for the four spots. They ask for a reel with examples of finished work (not a showreel montage) and expect it to be two hours worth. My written application was 28 pages long.

8 were shortlisted.

I was interviewed by a panel that included two from the cinematogrpahy department and Peter James ACS. After a pretty intensive grilling (which also included critiquing Peter James's work on Black Robe) i was then brought to a studio with a gaffer and grip.

I had to light several different scenarios such as someone arriving home for work at night. I had a set an actor and was given 30 minustes. They try to trip you up to. You ask for a FULL CTB gel for some moonlight say and the gaffer sticks some purple bit of gel on instead. they're checking to see if you notice and then how you confront it with your crew.

It was one of the most enjoyable afternoons I've ever had on a set.

Needless to say it's pretty damn rigorous and I had a lot of fun doing it.

In last two years i have had some great sessions of practical cinematography. The four of us spent 3 days with Russel Boyd lighting exteriors. We got film, actors grips gaffers etc.

We screened rushes, talked about it and did it all again the next day.

About 2 years ago I did a masterclass with Andrew Lesnie. There were 18 attendees and it was a completely differentt scenario. Because the attendees pay, it's essentially open to anyone. Some had experience comparable to my own, but most didn't. Some had never even been on a film set and were just interested. Therefore, Andrew lesnie had to firstly pare it way back to basics. And then deal with the fact that there were 18 of us and 4 cameras.

The actual one on one time was greatly reduced. the chance to actually explore ideas and really take the time to try things out was not possible in the same way. I got to have a 2 hour block each day where I was the DOP and Russel Boyd (or whatever great mentor you care to mention) looked over my shoulder.

It wasn't about providing a service for someone paying a fee, but exploring and testing myself with a great mentor.

If the school takes on paying students how on earth will it be the same ? More students reduces the contact time. it lowers the benchmarks so that someone that pays rather than someone that has genuine and displayed ability get access to the mentorship. This is after all not a film making 101 course. It's an MA, and they aim to turn out world class graduates. Not graduates who can afford the course. That's what's great about it. It's federally funded to a very high level and money and students ability to pay doesn't come into it.

a btw, could i ask you (or e-mail with you if you would prefer that), how you got to where you are? I would like to be in a similar position in about three years time.

Sure thing...!

You can email me at john@johnbrawley.com

Thank you all SO much for your imput. It's great hearing whats worthwile from people who know as opposed to a school advisior. Speaking of which, has anyone heard about or attended Lorenzo de Medici in Tuscanina? My academic advisior recomended it saying it has a more hands on film program, but again, I'd rether hear it from someone who actualy knows.

So, no chance unless I move there for grad school probably?

Edited by Amy Hartman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
I live in Belgium and there's a filmschool here in Brussels where I want to study next year.

It's called RITS.

www.rits.be

hey justin since u live in belgium check the insas and iad programs too

www.insas.be

www.iad.be

i might go there next year

regards..

If you are looking for all of the schools available in specific regions and countries, I've assembled the most comprehensive list of film schools available worldwide at www.whatireallywanttodo.com. Just click on "What I Really Want is a Filmschool" at the top of the page!

After that, it's about contacting each school you might be interested in and asking if you can contact alumni for advice. Of course the school itself will tell you how great they are, but if they'll provide you with alumni names and phone numbers, you can get the real scoop. If the school won't provide that info, then maybe there is doubt.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
Hello fellow filmmakers,

~ AP Hartman

I am not sure if you are interested in Cinematography Workshops ...

www.lightextreme.com offers workshops in Cinematic Expression in Los Angeles and in Italy (Florence)