ADVICE PLEASE

Philip Lewis

hey,

i'm about to embark on my first short with the JVC GY HD 111 camera and MINI 35 capturing system, just wondering what frame rate people would recommend shooting in and what has looked best from peoples experience, any advie would be excellent and a great help. One question my DP had was weather or not the mini 35 will have problems shooting in Progressive as opposed to Interlaced. Personally i want progressive because i want to achieve that film look........ also is it essential to have a full HD monitor with the camera on the shoot i.e. for focus etc.

cheers guys,

hope someone has some great advice for me

LOUIE :D

Given you're in a PAL country 25P would be the recommended frame rate. The HD 100 series only records progressive in HDV. You won't have problems shooting progressive with the Mini 35, lots of people do so.

A HD monitor would be ideal.

• Premium Member
Also one advantage of shooting 50p is that it creates the illusion of 3 dimensions and your video footage will look like its popping out of the screen.

"This format is called extended definition and handles motion better than high definition 25p"

Hi,

Are you representing a manufacture?

Stephen

You can also shoot full progressive 50p but your resolution will be limited to 720x576. This format is called extended definition and handles motion better than high definition 25p.

Hi

don't try 50p untill you are sure that your nle can handle that format. Just shoot 25p hdv to get the best of this camera. Using prime cine lenses and mini 35 you wouldn't get sd resolution from that camera.

Best

Thanasis Diamantopoulos

Cinematographer

Athens Greece.

No I am not representing any manufacturer.

Just spouting the usual bullsh*t....

your resolution will be limited to 720x576. This format is called extended definition

720 x 576 is Standard Resolution! How many more times do we have to go through this inane argument with you?

Wouldn't that then mean 576 lines? But, isn't the standard 625 lines? Or is that the absolulute maximum resolution that can be offered? With a slightly lower resolution being broadcast.

576 is the number of visible lines that make up the picture in PAL.

• Premium Member
576 is the number of visible lines that make up the picture in PAL.

Correct, and 625 lines is the PAL active picture plus the vertical blanking interval. NTSC is 483 active and 525 total. All this is historic stuff from the days of analog vacuum tube TV. Come to think of it, so is interlace -- though that goes all the way back to analog mechanical scan, circa 1915. Analog interlaced TV systems always had odd numbers of total lines -- 383, 405, 441, 525, 625, 819. I'll give you all a while to figure out why.... ;-)

-- J.S.