ACing in Europe, help

I'm going to be traveling to Sweden in a few days for a short film. We're shooting HD with a Technik adaptor and Super Speeds. I'm excited to go but something occurred to me in the last week. Here in the US we use feet so I'm used to pulling focus in feet and inches which is fine because all the lenses I use are marked in feet and meters (depending on the lens). However, in Europe they use the metric system which is new and scary and far too simple but that means I have to work in a system I?m not familiar with, maybe. I already asked the dp and director if it was at all possible to get a set of Super Speeds with feet as well as meters but if worse comes to worse and I have to pull in meters does any body know of a good depth of field, etc program for my palm? I use Eubank's sweet software but it is only in feet (as far as I know) so it will virtually useless in Europe. Pleas help!

can only say "oh my GOD i do understand you so bad!!!"

I am russian, and i just CAN'T still get used to the damn feet! They make no sense! like.. 1/16 of a inch... dang! %) anyways, just wanted to say that it has been 9 month and i am still not used to it.. good luck in Europe!!! hope you'd be better with the transition than i am ;)

:rolleyes:

• Premium Member
can only say "oh my GOD i do understand you so bad!!!"

I am russian, and i just CAN'T still get used to the damn feet! They make no sense! like.. 1/16 of a inch... dang! %) anyways, just wanted to say that it has been 9 month and i am still not used to it.. good luck in Europe!!! hope you'd be better with the transition than i am ;)

:rolleyes:

I'm American and I hear you.. I've always used feet as my standard measure and I still hate it. It's poorly thought out and a pain to do math with.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
There are decimeters.

LOL, there might not be any inbetween that people use, but I take metric over Imperial any day. Imperial gives me headaches.

@Alex, I have never seen a lens marked for meters only. All lenses I have used carried both scales, usually feet in green and meters in white.

Cheers, Dave

HAHAHA I hate when I have to use a set in feet, but, at the same time its cool cause you learn to use the feet system but , using feet , for me is painfull when thinking in long distances... so I prefer meter , but in short distances, less than a meter, for me is much easier in feet... what I do when I use lenses in feet, for example, make a note on your mattebox with the equivalences.. But if you do not have moments were you have to improvse, that is to say , think quickly, its not difficult ... So dont be afraid... there are much more things in the world to be afraid...

• Premium Member
Certainly in the UK I have never seen any lens marked solely in metric, nor have I ever seen an AC pull focus in anything other than feet and inches.

I don't think you'll have a problem.

Phil

Hi Phil,

My Cooke 20-100 bought from a rental house in Miami is only marked in meters!

Stephen

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Hi Phil,

My Cooke 20-100 bought from a rental house in Miami is only marked in meters!

Stephen

Can the scale be swapped for another? Some lenses like master primes just need a ring flipped around to switch markings.