Just call me Superman, I've done the impossible!

James Steven Beverly

Just call me Superman, for I have achieved the IMPOSSIBLE! Against all odds and at risk to life and limb I have managed to somehow acquired the illusive, nearly impossible to find, single 35mm Lomo anamorphic lens in near perfect condition to complete my small set (35,50 and 75mm) and was able to work out a deal to get it in a way I could afford in my present condition which is relatively BROKE or a least not able to afford the $1600 to 2 grand these lenses usually bring. It meant having to give up my 35, 50 and 75 standard speed Lomos which I know I will eventually have to replace and a pair of 400 ft mags for the Kinor 35H BUT I GOT IT!!! I can replace the 3 primes and still have my 35, 50 and 75 fast lenses in a pinch and I didn't need the 35H mags any more ( they won't fit the 35C plus I have 4 400ft mags for the C now so even if they did, I still was able to afford to part with them ) so for me, sense I planned on shooting Blood Moon Rising in anamorphic, this is a real coup. I still have to get an anamorphic gate and GG plus a de-squeezer viewfinder (I may have Steve Morton modify, or adapt parts of, a Konvas de-squeezer to a spare long Kinor 35C viewfinder) but I am getting MUCH closer to having Black Sky Productions' camera department up and running in a grand professional style. This lens is a surprise though, it feels like it's gotta weigh 8 to 12 pounds and has a HUGH front glass maybe 7 or 8 inches in diameter, which is in sharp contrast to my other 2 anamorphics lenses which seem to be a little large but within the realm of what one might expect a lens to look like. This thing looks like it belongs on a freakin' satellite. It is incredibly cool though. I hope I don't sound like I'm bragging too much, it's just that I am just sooo jazzed about this. I was worried about try shoot Blood Moon with just 2 lenses available to me. This is gonna make me a LOT more comfortable. I still want to try and find a 100mm and 150mm anamorphic but at least for the moment this should work like a charm. B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly

"If Clark Kent marries Lana Lang and Superman marries Lois Lane, will that be bigamy or menage a trois? " - Washington Post

One could only HOPE! Have you SEEN the chick that plays Lana Lang and add Kate Bosworth to the mix, now that's a party I'd like to attend. I think I'd have NO trouble becoming the man of steel...if ya know what I mean. :D

Could you post a picture of the lens?

Here ya go, Dave. I tried to show just how big this beast is. I actually over estimated it slightly, the front element is 5 1/2 in in diameter and it weighs 8 pounds but it's still damn big at least to me.

anamorphics35mm3.jpg

anamorphics35mm2.jpg

anamorphics35mm1-1.jpg

And here's the whole set:

anamorphics1.jpg

anamorphics2.jpg

Cool huh! B)