If You Could APPRENTICE with ONE CINEMATOGRAPHER Now...?

Tom Lowe

Who would you like to work with and learn from?

For me, it's a tough call. At the top of my list would be Gordon Willis, John Toll, Emmanuel Lubezki, and Chris Doyle.

I think, logically speaking, that my top choice would be John Toll, just because his knowledge and talents and artistic sensibilities are so in tune with my own ideas and dreams about cinema photography.

On the other hand, if you had a chance to work with, and hang out with, and learn from, Chris Doyle, god would that be awesome!!! When asked what has been the biggest influence on his cinematography, Doyle repsonded: "Heineken."

... hahaha! :lol:

• Premium Member

Easily Vittorio Storaro. My style doesn't at all resemble his most of the time but his ideas and work are so infuential to me that I would love to spend some time watching the man actually work rather than talk about how he works.

Edited by Chris Keth

M. David Mullens hands down! Northfork and The Astronaut Farmer are f*cking brilliant pieces of cinematic art and by his posts here, I know he would actually take the time to teach me the many things I needed to know rather than merely let me bask in his genius. I'd like to do it now before he becomes so well known, he won't have the time to deal with anyone but the most upper echelon of the film making community which is bound to happen very soon. There are very few people I have a deep, abiding respect for, Peter Bogdanovich in one of them and David Mullens is another. I'm sorry if this embarrasses you Dave, but I gotta be honest. At some point, I hope I will be able to raise enough money to hire you on as DoP just so we get the chance to work together. I think I would benefit greatly from the experience as would any project we might work together on. You have my undying respect, man, seriously. B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly

• Premium Member
If I could apprentice with ANY cinematographer I would have to pick John Alton.

But seeing as he's dead I'd settle for Chris Doyle. :lol:

That would certainly be interesting, but I don't know if my liver could take that kind of education, and I'm Irish! :lol:

"M. David Mullens hands down!Northfork and The Astronaut Farmer are f*cking brilliant pieces of cinematic art and by his posts here, I know he would actually take the time to teach me the many things I needed to know rather than merely let me bask in his genius. I'd like to do it now before he becomes so well known, he won't have the time to deal with anyone but the most upper echelon of the film making community which is bound to happen very soon. There are very few people I have a deep, abiding respect for, Peter Bogdanovich in one of them and David Mullens is another. I'm sorry if this embarrasses you Dave, but I gotta be honest. At some point, I hope I will be able to raise enough money to hire you on as DoP just so we get the chance to work together. I think I would benefit greatly from the experience as would any project we might work together on. You have my undying respect, man, seriously."

hey psycho, if you love and respect him so much maybe you should learn how to spell his name correctly.

jk :ph34r:

Steven H. Burum! Ever see Rumble Fish?

Vittorio Storraro

Michael Ballhaus

Michael Chapman

Roger Deakins

Gordon Willis

Thierry Arbogast

Robby Muller

Ed Lachman

Steven Soderbergh

Dion Bebe (even though I don't like his digital work)

(too many to list)

Dead:

Greg Toland

Conrad Hall

Im actually trying to meet up with Chris Doyle to see i could work with him and be his intern, if he ever takes one. We're both quite similar , i lived in taiwan for 16 years, he studied his mandarin in Taiwan, he shot loads of films in china, Immmm starting to work on features in china.. who knows huh..

Darius Khondji would be my next pick, the amazing shadows of Se7en and the crazy experimental documentary he shot of Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait .

"M. David Mullens hands down!Northfork and The Astronaut Farmer are f*cking brilliant pieces of cinematic art and by his posts here, I know he would actually take the time to teach me the many things I needed to know rather than merely let me bask in his genius. I'd like to do it now before he becomes so well known, he won't have the time to deal with anyone but the most upper echelon of the film making community which is bound to happen very soon. There are very few people I have a deep, abiding respect for, Peter Bogdanovich in one of them and David Mullens is another. I'm sorry if this embarrasses you Dave, but I gotta be honest. At some point, I hope I will be able to raise enough money to hire you on as DoP just so we get the chance to work together. I think I would benefit greatly from the experience as would any project we might work together on. You have my undying respect, man, seriously."

hey psycho, if you love and respect him so much maybe you should learn how to spell his name correctly.

jk :ph34r:

You back, Jason? I'm surprised they didn't throw you off permanently. Well as usual, your comments aren't really worth commenting on however if you think I'm psycho, then you really ought to be more polite. B)

1. (in other words THE one i would choose, if i had to choose just one), Andrew (he has my name!!!) Lesnie. Mainly because i think that other than both creative and technical aspect of making movies, he can also teach the business side of it. + he's been on two huge projects (LOTR and King Kong).

2. Draw between Dion Beebe and Robert Richardson (hope his name is spelt like that).

3. David Mullen (haven't seen much of his work but seems like a real down to earth guy and others on this site praise his genius so, must be good + he does seem knowledgeable)

Peace

Edited by andrew heggli