If You Could APPRENTICE with ONE CINEMATOGRAPHER Now...?

Tom Lowe

• Premium Member

I had an intern on my last show... and the camera crew worked his ass off, don't know if I had time to even talk more than five minutes with him per day unfortunately, so whatever he learned about how I did things would have had to been through observation.

• Premium Member
..............if I had time to even talk more than five minutes with him per day .............

I'd take that deal, work my fanny off all day but get to kibbitz with you daily one on one for five minutes.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member
Well Jamie try him on www.rogerdeakins.com dont ask all ten questions at the same time he is busy chap . good luck .

If you go there John, you'll see Jamie has already asked him 10 questions, albeit not at the same time

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Even if he doesn't really work anymore, Gordon Willis is still the reference for me.

But concerning the cinematographers who are in activity, i would say Harry Savides, Mark Lee Ping-Bing, Lubezki, John Toll or perhaps Larry Smith to ask him everything about Kubrick's work :). Also, I consider Kubrick as one of the best DoP ever. Even if he was director, he did the light of almost all his films and it was everytime gorgeous.....

Luc Besson, in terms of seeing someone with total freedom and control over what he is shooting.

On that note, I got to work as a camera PA with on a Vilmos Szigmond but I learned nothing because I was just a bitch making Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches for the camera dept. I did get Vilmos a Cafe au lait, but that was about the most of my contact - it was pretty dissapointing.

Edited by Danny Lachman

• Premium Member

Living or dead? It's such a great question to wonder about.

Here's a few:

Bob Elswit

Bill Pope

Harris Savides

Michael Ballhaus

Lance Accord

Roger Deakins

Theo van de Sande

Jan DeBont

Tak Fujimoto

John Schwartzman

Robert Yeoman