If You Could APPRENTICE with ONE CINEMATOGRAPHER Now...?

Tom Lowe

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Vitorio Storaro, Nestor Almendros, Haskell Wexler and Connie Hall for starters.

John Alton, Jack Cardiff, Gordon Willis, Roger Deakins and Janusz Kaminsky to be truly decadent.

Edited by Saul Rodgar

• 2 weeks later...
Who would you like to work with and learn from?

For me, it's a tough call. At the top of my list would be Gordon Willis, John Toll, Emmanuel Lubezki, and Chris Doyle.

I think, logically speaking, that my top choice would be John Toll, just because his knowledge and talents and artistic sensibilities are so in tune with my own ideas and dreams about cinema photography.

On the other hand, if you had a chance to work with, and hang out with, and learn from, Chris Doyle, god would that be awesome!!! When asked what has been the biggest influence on his cinematography, Doyle repsonded: "Heineken."

... hahaha! :lol:

I would apprentice under TOM STERN. bottom line he knows light better than any one. second he was conrad halls gaffer for years so he know all of the tricks.

STERN is the man.. and he hasn't sold out either.

• 3 months later...
Harris Savides.

Shane: I assisted Harris a few times in the late '80s, early '90s. Mostly music videos. He is my favorite living cinematographer. He was also one of the nicest people I've ever worked around. I got to hook with him recently on the set of "Milk", and he's still a good guy.

Christopher Doyle.

No contest.

He's simply unbelievable & amazing; his shots have such an ethereal & dreamlike quality, it reminds me of how everything looks when you're in love or in grief or in any kind of intense & charged, detail-orientated state. I'd give pretty much anything to get a chance to work with him.

Guest Glen Alexander
Let's see some !!!!!

No one here posts images of their film before its complete or even after.

From tests shots, VV crushes everything except 65mm for much less $$.

Anamorphic compression is lame in comparison.

You can have 35mm -3 or 4 perf film or digital bullshit, I'll take VV anyday, anytime.