If You Could APPRENTICE with ONE CINEMATOGRAPHER Now...?

Tom Lowe

No way to pick just one, and I would consider myself thoroughly blessed to work with any of the living masters already listed.

I'll just add two lesser-known Cinematographers who's work I greatly admire:

Siu-Keung Cheng

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0155624/

Chung-hoon Chung

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0161200/

Edited by David Bowsky

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

You know who is a real interesting, somewhat underrated DP, Chris Menges. His work on THE MISSION was fantastic. He also took over for Deakins on THE READER.

Chris Menges has lensed some great films, two of his best being The Mission and The Killing Fields. He, Luzbeski and Toll are three that would be great to work with.

Jack Cardiff too. The documentary on him (Cameraman, The Life of Jack Cardiff) blew my mind. He did things that were so incredibly simple and brilliant at the same time. It's almost that there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about some of the things he did. Stupid smart.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Being that the question is which one...it would be Caleb Deschanel Asc. I met him while at the AFI in a seminar we visited at his office and had lunch once. He sent me to train with Garrett Brown on the Stedicam while I was living in Philadelphia also. So we sort of developed a kind of rapport. If I was able to choose another it would be David Mullens Asc as a great Cinematographer he has given so very much to teaching already at a young age and helping multitudes of aspiring DP's

I'm not interested in Cinematography as a primary career choice but if it was something I could fall back on, that'd be neat. And besides, even though my goal is to become a director, understanding Cinematography is very important in creating the visual style of the film. But if I had to apprentice under a cinematographer, it'd be Daniel Mindel, ASC. I'm not sure how he is personally, but I love his passion for 35mm anamorphic and his devotion to it as the ONLY medium/format he intends to shoot with. Whenever I see a movie shot in the anamorphic format on 35mm, it has this personality to it, the shallow depth of field, oval bokeh, and, most importantly, anamorphic flares, that attract me to it. I'd love to shoot everything I ever do (professionally of course) in 35mm anamorphic...but let's be realistic, if I were working on an indie movie, the producer would surley be against both.

• 2 weeks later...

Gregg Toland. Being the aspiring Cinematographer that I am I've been studying up on some of the great black and white films (Citizen Kane, The Grapes of Wrath).

I have never seen anyone manipulate light and shadow like that. I'm going to have to look into some more of these people.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Where’s Satsuki? :) I hope he got booked for five music videos and three commercials and is missing-in-action, being snowed under all the work. He’d love that I resurrected another three-year-old thread. :)

OK, I’d probably pick Darius Khondji. Correction: I’d definitely pick Khondji.

Then Storaro. Because I think he’s, to use a pleonasm, the total opposite of Khondji. Perhaps I’m wrong. But it’s my current impression. Diffused and bounced vs. thousands of megawatts of direct streaks of light.

The most recent breath-taking thing about Storaro I only found out recently is that he seems so technically skilled as well. He is both practical and philosophical about what he does. With him, it is both an art and something very down-to-Earth. Renaissance man of cinematography.

I’d have to have both of them or, else, nothing.

There are so many great people working in this field. It is so hard to choose, and ridiculous. I just took a peek at one of the “greatest cinematographers” list on IMDb. So many people! So difficult to make up my mind. There’s Delbonnel there, for example. I’d love it that he has a background, a degree, in philosophy. That could be interesting.

Then I’d pick some of these younger cinematographers, Łukasz Żal or Adam Arkapaw. I don’t really like the look of Ida, but a lot of the set-ups I’ve seen seem complicated. And I love complicated.

• 4 months later...