CP16- R film take up spool problem...

gareth Mcg

Hi everyone

Ive just got my hands on a CP16-R camera...their are a few issues with the camera that I'm trying to sort out. But my main concern is that the take up spool doesn't take up the film fast enough and the film just spirals out of control after 2/3 seconds.

I will see if I can test another mag first! but can I tighten the take up spool?

Problem info.

The Film is loaded correctly and runs perfectly through the camera until it re-enters the mag. The Mag is locked in position and the take up spool does rotate at the same speed as the leader spool I have checked this by marking both of the outer spool cores on the mag and watched them rotate simultaneously. (Sorry for not using correct terms)

Battery is also fully charged and the camera/mag looks extremely used - probably had a hard life.

any thought?

The feed and take up spools should not spin at the same rate. As film is displaced the take up spool should spin faster than the feed at the begining of the roll, about the same in the middle of the roll, and slower toward the end.

All else being correct the problem is not enough tension on the take up spool.

The remedies:

1) Replace magazine drive belt.

2) Adjust clutch drive belt tension (this is the internal herring bone belt, you need to open the camera for this).

3) Replace clutch drive belt.

When I first got my CP-16R I tested it by running leader through it with the camera door and magazine open. I watched everything as it ran to make sure the film went through without any problems. Now I'm ready to shoot real film with it.

One thing I ended up having to replace in my CP-16R, was that clutch mechanism that drives the takeup.

It's not uncommon. I got a rebuilt one from Paul Hillman at Visual Products.

I had the same problem. It also caused me to eat a fishbone belt, so you may have to get one of those as well, because the uneven speeds/tension causes it to chew off the nubs on the fishbone belt.

Look inside your camera, and see if there are little tiny blue bits floating around in the bottom of the felt.

They may still be in the other side (inside the camera), so this doesn't mean you DON'T have that problem, but if you see those things, absolutely get a new belt, as well as the clutch.

Call Paul Hillman, he'll know exactly what to do.

Great guy, great camera tech, totally honest.

Matt Pacini

Yep that fishbone belt disintigrates after a couple decades, I got a replacement from Whitehouse AV. The clutch may need to be adjusted to a torque spec; check with a repair pro to find out. Also, you might consider using a 3" takeup core if you're shooting 100' or 200' loads; I don't think a 400' load will fit.

Edited by Robert Hughes

When I first got my CP-16R I tested it by running leader through it with the camera door and magazine open. I watched everything as it ran to make sure the film went through without any problems. Now I'm ready to shoot real film with it.

Yeah, me too. I always use videotape for testing... :rolleyes: