Nikon R8 Super Battery Question

John Pope

Greetings. I just aquired a Nikon R8 Super with no manual. I believe it's missing the piece that holds the batteries in the handle. first of all, i've done a lot of searching on the internet for a pic or some sort of reference. I've come up short and I'm wondering if anyone here can help or point me in the right direction. Thanks so much!

• Premium Member
Greetings. I just aquired a Nikon R8 Super with no manual. I believe it's missing the piece that holds the batteries in the handle. first of all, i've done a lot of searching on the internet for a pic or some sort of reference. I've come up short and I'm wondering if anyone here can help or point me in the right direction. Thanks so much!

I'd ask the person you got it from if they maybe still have the battery holder but didn't know what it was. It 's not a common shape for a battery holder.

Are you talkng about the black metal piece that holds the battery ensemble in the handle or the plastic piece that holds the batteries themselves?

Rick

I'm talking about the plastic piece that holds the batteries themselves. Hopefully the pic helps a bit. When i open the handle, there's no way of putting in the batteries. This should be all i need to get this camera up and running. Any help is appreciated. Thank you guys.

post-25608-1186936688_thumb.jpg

I also got a Nikon like that without a battery holder. My only choice was also to find another camera, but I couldn't wait around. I had once made a DIY Beaulieu 4008 battery pack because I did not want to spend $90 for home movie camera battery pack. I decided to adapt that process and repeat it for the (different voltage) missing Nikon R battery. I used Maplin parts (like Radio Shack) which cost about £5 - £10 without batteries, and cobbled it all together after a few hours of careful fiddly work. Just watch you don't fry the camera's internals. I ended up with external battery packs for both cameras, looks ugly, but works. Use a Voltage Meter, mine cost £3.00.

These are the parts I used:

1) A copper coated circuit board cut into an oval shape to fit inside the handle up against the camera's contacts. I ground off the copper using a dremel - hand drill. That's dangerous, but I wouldn't pay an extra £15 for photo chemical kit to clear the copper off the board. I drilled three holes into this flat oval disk, and filled it with big drops of solder, connecting it to..

2) three wires... connected to the four wires of...

3) Two pp3 battery connectors

4) Two 3 AA Battery holders with PP3 connector

5) Black Cloth Tape to wrap it together

6) Red Electrical tape to contrast with the black tape.

Connect it all together and cram it into the handle, which then won't close all the way because it doesn't fit. Don't know if AAA's or NiMh's will work and fix, I used Six AA, Alkaline batteries.

The three contacts of the R8/R10 are +9v, (-9v/-4.5v) and -4.5v. Connect them to two sets of three AA's, stuff it into the handle and power on. You have to figure out which contact is +9v -9/4.5v and -4.5. Somebody over at filmshooting.com posted the diagram, but filmshooting.com's offline at the moment so I can't check. Basically the front and rear (9v) contacts in the handle of the Nikon drive the motor, and the middle one (4.5v) drives the light meter. With the Nikon upside down, lens pointing away from you, the two 9v's are on the left, the one 4.5v is on the right, in a triangle pattern. Try touching the two 9v with a live 9v current and pull the shutter. Hope you don't short circuit or fry the camera! You can also just drive the camera with manual exposure I think, without the light meter... I may be wrong on that.

BTW, FYI YMMV!

Gianni B)